Help with budget SC2 computer

Hello, my dad's computer died recently and he needs a new one. The only things this computer needs to do is surf the web, check e-mail, and play Starcraft 2. I would like him to be able to play with decent graphics settings. His budget is flexible but approximately $650 with a monitor. Here is a link to SC2 recommended specs , not sure what kinda of graphics performance those would yield. He needs a computer as soon as possible for his work, so ideally I would like to get a store bought. The problem with those is that none have graphics cards within the price range. Is it ok to buy a computer such as a Dell, or Gateway with decent specs and then add a graphics card? For example, how well off would I be buying then adding . Any advice/info will be greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about help budget computer
  1. You should buy the parts and build it yourself, it's easy and it takes a couple of hours, the brand ones are expensive. Or at least find a site where thy allow you to customize your PC.
  2. If you need a computer right away it will work OK adding in a video card and beating the recommended SC2 requirements.

The GT 240 doesn't quite measure up to a 8800GTX in GPU power though. You'd need a GTS 250 to match that spec.
    Passmark GPU scores:
    8800GTX = 1050
    GT 240 = 768
    GTS 250 = 1069

We'd need to check that case can handle a 9" video card and that the PSU has enough power.
  3. That Dell Inspiron i545-1125NBK doesnt get very good reviews: Cnet Review
    It has the Dell 250W PSU which won't have enough power for the GTS 250.
    Looks like the GT 240 will have to do for an upgrade card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Computer Graphics Cards Graphics Systems Product