Creative

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi, Long time reader, first post.

First of all, why no search options on this forum? Might stop a lot of the same posts over and over like I read.

Secondly, should power supplies have their own forum?

I have a USB Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical mouse (6000 scans per second). Will I lose any performance plugging it into the PS/2 connector?

That's all. Thanks for your help. :)

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is seach options on this forum. It is a on the left and say Search boards on it.
I did not notice any difference with different port.

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I think you will... USB is faster i believe...but i guess it depends on what type of game your playing if it will make a difference. If not used for FPS games I don't think it matters. I play delta force and I do notice a diffence especially when knifing.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
The transmition speed on ps/2 is slower than USB, but I beleive that you won't see the difference because the mouse does not even use all the bandwith available to it when connected through ps/2.

The reason for USB mouses and keyboards is mainly the plug-and-play advantage.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I find USB to be slightly unreliable, and the performance difference negligable.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I read the article you posted and now im a little confused when I test both my mice 1 with ps/2 the other with USB using mouserate I get a higher sampling rate with USB about 200hz avg...whereas with ps/2 I get about 120 hz avg?? It appears that using USB connection gives a higher faster sampling rate isn't this higher rate going to be better in FPS games? or am I mistaken?