1x agp card, 8x agp mobo, bad news?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 10, 2004 5:09:12 PM

A coworker and her husband recently built a new computer, buying the
parts at the local PC Club.

They were going to take the card from an old system, but the salesman
at the shop told them they'd fry the motherboard using a 1x agp card
in the 8x agp slot.

I've never heard of this. Is it true, or was he just trying to up his
commission?

Also, they have an old 700 pentium which isn't working and they think
it's the video. I recommended a GeForce 4 or 2 MX. But would a fast
card in a slow system also be a problem?

Thanks for any help.
June 11, 2004 12:31:07 AM

Todd wrote:

> A coworker and her husband recently built a new computer, buying the
> parts at the local PC Club.
>
> They were going to take the card from an old system, but the salesman
> at the shop told them they'd fry the motherboard using a 1x agp card
> in the 8x agp slot.
>
> I've never heard of this. Is it true, or was he just trying to up his
> commission?
>
> Also, they have an old 700 pentium which isn't working and they think
> it's the video. I recommended a GeForce 4 or 2 MX. But would a fast
> card in a slow system also be a problem?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Why in the world would you build a new system using and ancient video
card? Tell them to spend the extra $ on a NEW video card for the new
mobo. As far as frying the mobo, I think it's the other way around, i.e.
using an 8x card in a 4x mobo will damage it, but the safe thing to do
is contact the momo manufacturer and find if the card is compatible.
Ditto with a new card in a ancient system...why waste the money? If they
really want to keep using the old PC, go to a used computer parts place
and get a used video card. They're dirt cheap.

--
Servo

"Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!"

tservo100 at
ameritech dot net

Slow, fiery death to all spammers!
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:40:13 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:31:07 GMT, Servo wrote:

> Why in the world would you build a new system using and ancient video
> card?

Perhaps the system is going to be a server? Perhaps it's going to be used
for just word processing? Not everyone requires a PC (or Macintrash) for
gaming.

[Snip]

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Servo enlightened us with:
>> They were going to take the card from an old system, but the salesman
>> at the shop told them they'd fry the motherboard using a 1x agp card
>> in the 8x agp slot.

I think that's nonsense. An AGP8x mobo means it can do AGP8x at max.

> As far as frying the mobo, I think it's the other way around, i.e.
> using an 8x card in a 4x mobo will damage it

Bullshit. The card will just work at 4x. Why would they design cards &
mobos that way?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:31:42 AM

Todd <noone@nowhere.com> Blessed us with

> A coworker and her husband recently built a new computer, buying
> the parts at the local PC Club.
>
> They were going to take the card from an old system, but the
> salesman at the shop told them they'd fry the motherboard using
> a 1x agp card in the 8x agp slot.

I don't believe this is true because my brother had a 4x card in a
6x mobo slot and it just didn't work so he had to do something in
the config settings for the mobo (this may be in the bios) to
change the mobo over to 4x so the 4x card would work. At least
I think it was a 4x card and a 6x mobo slot but in any event it
won't fry anything!. If it's not right it just won't work at all
or perform very badly.

> I've never heard of this. Is it true, or was he just trying to
> up his commission?

IMO you were talking to a professional salesman!. ;-)

> Also, they have an old 700 pentium which isn't working and they
> think it's the video. I recommended a GeForce 4 or 2 MX. But
> would a fast card in a slow system also be a problem?

I've seen it in game manufacturer specs and people have been saying
it all over the place that a faster CPU never hurts. I would say
they would be throwing money away, buying a faster card for a slow
CPU IMO!. If I had the choice and my CPU was slower than 1ghz I
would upgrade it too when I upgraded the vid card. Anywhere from
1 to 2ghz seems to be the normal processor speed these days and
from 2 to 3ghz is fast.

> Thanks for any help.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt becuase I'm not a
computer tech or nothing just a mere user of equipment!

;-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 13, 2004 3:37:10 AM

"Todd" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> A coworker and her husband recently built a new computer, buying the
> parts at the local PC Club.
>
> They were going to take the card from an old system, but the salesman
> at the shop told them they'd fry the motherboard using a 1x agp card
> in the 8x agp slot.
>
> I've never heard of this. Is it true, or was he just trying to up his
> commission?
>
> Also, they have an old 700 pentium which isn't working and they think
> it's the video. I recommended a GeForce 4 or 2 MX. But would a fast
> card in a slow system also be a problem?
>
> Thanks for any help.

no problem just set the agp in the bios to run 1x it will probably default
to that anyway when it reads the card early mobo's had some problems but
they were largely down to the power demands of certain cards. As far as
choice of video cards go if they are not keen gamers an ATi all in wonder
would probably be a better for the improved 2D plus and multimedia addons
Nick_Dastardly

---