Graphics for HTPC Transition

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hello,
i am using my secondary PC for an HTPC. I have pretty much everything i need. I have been looking around wondering about GPUs. I want to hook this thing up to a 42'' LCDTV @60hz or bigger@120/240hz when i upgrade. The mobo is an m3n72-D which i believe has geforce 8 series gpu.
It will be mostly for streaming High Def/Blu Ray quality Video's. I will probably game single player FPS unless someone wants to LAN with it. But my main i use for mostly gaming.

HTPC system specs:

AMD Phenom II 720 x3
Corsair xms2 ddr2 800 8gb
m3n7d-2
*lying around if needed - Creative Soundblaster xfi xtreme gamer
win7 64bit

Anyway, if i am going to game every so often on the machine, should i buy a 150$-200$ card?
I can always slow my main PC down and remove a GTX 280 :whistle:

Also, will the soundblaster be worth reinstalling?

Sorry bout the format, im am exhausted atm. I was typing whatever came to mind.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

I am an nvidia user. So i do not know what brands are good with ATi's side of the house. Any suggestions?

Yes. HD 5770 will suffice as long as you do not expect it so run every single game at high or max graphics quality.

You got your desktop for that right?

I have a 9600GT in my HTPC. I haven't really used it to play games. Mostly to watch videos on my HDTV. The most GPU demanding game I played was Fallout 3, the most demanding CPU game was X3: Reunion.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Even on my main PC i dont run maxed out due to temperature.... I really dont like to get my cards above 60C cause then i start to sweat. I keep the door closed cause the stupid AC controller for the house is right outside the room.

Majority of the games i would play on my HTPC are probably single player RPG's and other things the wifey could get into. We played Monkey Island for the Wii, but the graphics were terrible! I already have a PS3 for blu-rays.

Anyway, what if i were to SLI something considering thats my mobo's capability. I am all about quality product. So if i were to find a good 5770 i would probably stick with it.
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770
*edit* and what is this display port people speak of?

You can only SLI nVidian cards. But if you want temperatures to stay below 60c, odds are you'll not use SLI and stay with an ATI card. An HD5770 VAPOR-X edition is probably the coolest card on the market, and you can stay below 65c for sure, provided you have decent air flow.