After installing Outlook 2003 Windows XP Search tool is in..

April 7, 2005 5:22:39 PM

After installing Outlook 2003 under WINXP Profesional the Windows Search
tool is inactive and will not load when I click on it.
How can a re-enable Search?

--
Ignacio Herrero
iherrero@terra.es

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand

[?] Why doesn't Search work?

And/or here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
Scroll down to:
Search - Doesn't Work

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%237detQ2OFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> After installing Outlook 2003 under WINXP Profesional the Windows Search
> tool is inactive and will not load when I click on it.
> How can a re-enable Search?
>

> --
> Ignacio Herrero
> iherrero@terra.es
> iherrero@teleline.es
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:56:12 AM

I have installed srchasst and Search still doesn't work. The only way I can
make it run is by booting XP in safe mode, This gives you any ideas?

> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> Click on the ? Icon to Expand
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> [?] Why doesn't Search work?
>
> And/or here:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
> Scroll down to:
> Search - Doesn't Work
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%237detQ2OFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> After installing Outlook 2003 under WINXP Profesional the Windows Search
>> tool is inactive and will not load when I click on it.
>> How can a re-enable Search?
>>

>> --
>> Ignacio Herrero
>> iherrero@terra.es
>> iherrero@teleline.es
April 8, 2005 12:56:13 AM

This is from a post by Michael Graf. This worked for him.
-----

Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
and I've finally figured it out.

I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
install.

This did it.

A couple notes.
I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that did
not work as well.
I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
I tried copying the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known good
computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.

So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
worked.

Thanks to the community for all their posts that helped me out.

Regards,
Michael Graf
-----

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uMwJDO6OFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have installed srchasst and Search still doesn't work. The only way I
> can make it run is by booting XP in safe mode, This gives you any ideas?

>> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
>> Click on the ? Icon to Expand
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> [?] Why doesn't Search work?
>>
>> And/or here:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
>> Scroll down to:
>> Search - Doesn't Work
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%237detQ2OFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> After installing Outlook 2003 under WINXP Profesional the Windows Search
>>> tool is inactive and will not load when I click on it.
>>> How can a re-enable Search?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ignacio Herrero
>>> iherrero@terra.es
>>> iherrero@teleline.es
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:56:30 AM

Hi Michael thanks for joining the team.
Hoe do you unregistered the srchui.dll File

--
Ignacio Herrero
iherrero@terra.es

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:56:31 AM

Select Run from the Start Menu

Type or paste:

regsvr32 /u srchui.dll

at the prompt, and click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:utuW2v6OFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Michael thanks for joining the team.
> Hoe do you unregistered the srchui.dll File
>
> --
> Ignacio Herrero
> iherrero@terra.es
> iherrero@teleline.es

>> This is from a post by Michael Graf. This worked for him.
>> -----
>>
>> Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
>> and I've finally figured it out.
>>
>> I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
>> I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
>> Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
>> install.
>>
>> This did it.
>>
>> A couple notes.
>> I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
>> I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that
>> did
>> not work as well.
>> I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
>> I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
>> I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
>> I tried copying the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known
>> good
>> computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.
>>
>> So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
>> worked.
>>
>> Thanks to the community for all their posts that helped me out.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael Graf
>> -----
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uMwJDO6OFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have installed srchasst and Search still doesn't work. The only way I
>>> can make it run is by booting XP in safe mode, This gives you any ideas?

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:07:11 PM

Ignacio,

Oops. I forgot that srchui.dll wasn't in the system32 folder.

Try this if Windows is on your C: drive...

Select Run from the Start Menu

Type or paste:

regsvr32 /u C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll

at the prompt, and click OK.
-----

No Links
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Hyperlinks Do Not Work in Outlook Express or in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823301

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23qcgG7%23OFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> When running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll" I obtained the following error
> message button:
> "LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed- The specified module could not be
> found" I clicked OK and continued to install srchasst.inf.
> No luck Search still doesn't work. When clicking on its icon the system
> freezes for about 5 seconds and then unfreezes but Search is not launched.
> Another anomaly I am now finding, is that Outlook Express freezes when
> clicking on any Internet Link in a received message. Both problems seen to
> have started simultaneously
>
> --
> Ignacio Herrero
> iherrero@terra.es
> iherrero@teleline.es

>> Select Run from the Start Menu
>>
>> Type or paste:
>>
>> regsvr32 /u srchui.dll
>>
>> at the prompt, and click OK.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:utuW2v6OFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Michael thanks for joining the team.
>>> Hoe do you unregistered the srchui.dll File
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ignacio Herrero
>>> iherrero@terra.es
>>> iherrero@teleline.es

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 10:00:22 PM

Hard Luck Michael. I re runed the process with your new instructions and It
went smoothly But Search still fails to run.
I say, if search runs OK with XP loaded in Safe Mode, it must be some driver
or service loaded at boot time causing the damage. I have run msconfig and
started in Diagnose mode with everything I could find deselected so it would
load XP in the bare bones. Search wouldn't run either. So here I am at a
loss.
Any ideas?
Thanks once more
> Ignacio,
>
> Oops. I forgot that srchui.dll wasn't in the system32 folder.
>
> Try this if Windows is on your C: drive...
>
> Select Run from the Start Menu
>
> Type or paste:
>
> regsvr32 /u C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> at the prompt, and click OK.
> -----
>
> No Links
> http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
>
> Hyperlinks Do Not Work in Outlook Express or in Word
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823301
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23qcgG7%23OFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> When running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll" I obtained the following error
>> message button:
>> "LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed- The specified module could not be
>> found" I clicked OK and continued to install srchasst.inf.
>> No luck Search still doesn't work. When clicking on its icon the system
>> freezes for about 5 seconds and then unfreezes but Search is not
>> launched.
>> Another anomaly I am now finding, is that Outlook Express freezes when
>> clicking on any Internet Link in a received message. Both problems seen
>> have started simultaneously
>>
>> --
>> Ignacio Herrero
>> iherrero@terra.es
>> iherrero@teleline.es

>>> Select Run from the Start Menu
>>>
>>> Type or paste:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 /u srchui.dll
>>>
>>> at the prompt, and click OK.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:utuW2v6OFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Ignacio <i_herrero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 7:56:16 PM

SOLVED THE PROBLEM, TANK Y'ALL !
I decided to cut it short and reinstall everything on my hard disk,
fortunately I had cloned it with Norton Ghost less than a month ago.
So with the help on Ghost and XP FST Wizard it went like a breeze. My only
misgiving is that I will never know what went wrong.
Al the best to all of you

--
Ignacio Herrero
iherrero@terra.es