Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should i wait for sandy bridge to build new pc?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Build
Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2010 9:01:59 AM

i am looking to build a core i5 760 or core i7 930 based pc.should wait for the new cpus.when will they be released?will they be that much better than the current platforms?

More about : wait sandy bridge build

a b à CPUs
September 18, 2010 10:05:10 AM

You do realise Sandy Bridge is for low to mid end and will not replace the high end CPUs.

If you need a new PC now build it now, if you want/can wait then wait. Only you can make that decision.

And it really does matter what you're using the PC for and what your budget it.....
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 18, 2010 1:12:56 PM

Sandy bridge is high end, it can trounce the current Intel Bloomfields and Lynnfields and the unlocked version can go to 4.9 GHz on air.It will have lower power consumption and performance is expected to be at least 10% more than the current i7s(based on Anandtech's preview).So I'm definitely waiting for it.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2010 1:52:10 PM

^ +1. It's the extreme & performance versions (my guess without the GPU) that'll come later - Q2 of next year according to the roadmap. However even the first quads in Q1 will compete with the i7-980X - just look at Anandtech's preview of the 2400, with no working turbo, in the Photoshop and encoding tests. My bet is that the 2600K, oc'ed to 3.2 to match the 980X, will beat it in most benchmarks except those using all 12 threads available on the 980X.

The performance & extreme versions will be on socket 2011, and probably considerably more expensive. So I'd wait until more benches are out and then decide - at that point, you could probably get a i7-930 at a pretty good discount :) .
Score
September 25, 2010 12:03:28 AM

Best answer selected by kamui4697.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2010 12:13:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!