minix69

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
OK I had this restart thing figured out I thought. Last night the pc had been idle for a while and when I went to load IE it just turned off and back on? I've changed PSU, GPU thinking this would help but I guess not.
MOBO ta790gx a+3 5.x
CPU PhenomIIx4 965
GPU XFX hd 5870
MEM Crucial Ballsistix 8gb(4x2gb) ddr3 1600
HD Samsung Spinpoint f3 500gb 7200rpm sata 2
PSU XFX 650w Modular
OS XP 64 bit
I've been battling this for a while now Theres still no event errors I'm close to a fresh install, I have windows 7 pro 64 but it was worse when I had it installed. Any Help?

minix69

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
The temps are ok, And the ram is brand new, but it did it before with less ram then added new ram same exact kind just 4 more gig. I was having this problem all the time untill I changed my psu, then it seemed like it went away. then last night pc had been idle for a while I ope IE and it just restarted?

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I googled your mb model, and looked at the ram recommendations. Crucial ballistix arent on it...It may not be the problem, but biostar boards are in my experience more trouble than their worth.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-series/memory_report.php?S_ID=395
I also read some newegg stuff, keep ram out of the fourth ram slot. and you might try underclocking the ram to see if it fixes your problem. If you reinstall 7 on this board dont use the driver dvd (supposed issues) make sure your timings and voltage are set correctly too.
what model ballistix is your ram...

minix69

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Ok I just reinstalled windows 7, Now when I go to play certain flash games online in facebook it restarts instantly? see I had this problem before event viewer says kernel power so I changed my psu any more suggestions. How do I adjust my ram?

You set your memory timings and voltages in Bios, im not sure where the DRAM settings on a biostar board are. Since you are running 4 sticks you might need slightly more voltage to get everything totally stable, but i would set it to the factory recommended specs first and run memtest to make sure you dont have a bad stick, run it overnight for 4 or 5 passes, sometimes the early ones come up clean and the later ones find a ton of errors.
http://www.memtest.org/

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Take everything out of your system, and just have 1 stick of ram, 1 hdd and GPU.

Try that, if that doesnt work, replace the 1 stick of ram with another untill you have tested all RAM.

Failing this, i would revert your BIOS back to factory defaults and try getting another different branded stick of ram to test with.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
When you say it reboots every time you play a flash game, does it stall first, or instantly flick off?

And what browser are you using? Can you try a different one? Particularly Firefox if you aren't already. Also, look in the processes tab in task manager, and close everything running under your username you can apart from explorer. Then try to recreate the problem.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
In my mind, it seems like Flash is taking a resource that Windows needs to run, or that something is overheating and shorting...

You might want to check that there's no screws under your MB too. I did that once.

minix69

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
ok I tried another browser same thing while playing flash game, I forgot to add I get this in event veiwer everytime this happens?
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-09-23T00:33:15.551212300Z

EventRecordID 6657

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Mine

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
Does this help any? I've read countless forums on this with no help!

popatim

Titan
Event 41 is an unexpected power loss scenerio.
When you replaced the PSU did you use the new power cord? Tried a different outlet? Removed any & all overclocks? Using the latest bios? Updated drivers?

Next I would remove the side cover and disconnect the reset switch. If the problem continues I would then start it up and remove the power switch from the motherboard (holding in the power switch long enough would force the PSU to shutoff) This probaly isnt your problem but worth trying.
Next I would begin unistalling any added hardware.

If its still doing it then a new motherboard may be in order.

minix69

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Ok through some more forum readings I found something thats working so far and I thought you all might want to know. In my bios theres a GPU phase control 1,2,3,4
And its set to auto, well phase 2 was greyed out as the others were green. I turned it off altogether and I've played flash games back to back ran o full virus scan no probs so far! Might be solved! But usually about the time a post a solution it does it again, LOL. So i'll run it for a while and reply back!