• Dual Channel
  • Compatibility
  • Triple Channel
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2011 9:22:29 AM

Hello,
I just ordered a triple channel ddr3 for my mobo that said duel channel in the manual.
Will this still be compatible?
this is what i ordered: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

this is my mobo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

thanks for any help

More about : dual channel triple

April 29, 2011 10:32:52 AM

well you have 2 options. leave out 1 stick or buy another single stick. It will still work with 3 in a dual channel but you will get reduced performance due to the 4th slot not being populated
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2011 1:41:16 PM

No it's not compatible.

If your motherboard is a dual channel motherboard, you buy dual channel ram, not triple channel ram.

That is horrid memory (at a even more horrid price) anyways, cancel your order immediately. Why would you buy 1066mhz memory for P67??

These will work great for you and are much faster than that crap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2011 10:59:49 PM

Hey GeekApproved, thanks much. I am a student building my first pc and for some reason the memory aspect of compatibility confuses me. Why would I buy that? Because I am a huge ass newb. :-)
I canceled it this morning and I am buying that memory you recommended right now.
Thank you for your advice, very helpful.
m
l
April 30, 2011 12:35:23 AM

Geek is wrong in the sense that ddr3 is what works with your motherboard. Unless you plan on OC you won't see much difference in ram. Although personally I would use different ram. I would go with more ram, and something that at least can OC to 1600. But even if you don't I would still get more then 3gb's (unless you plan on only using a 32bit OS)
m
l
April 30, 2011 9:20:53 AM

kingnoobe said:
Geek is wrong in the sense that ddr3 is what works with your motherboard. Unless you plan on OC you won't see much difference in ram. Although personally I would use different ram. I would go with more ram, and something that at least can OC to 1600. But even if you don't I would still get more then 3gb's (unless you plan on only using a 32bit OS)

I don't need to OC or have a lot of memory at the moment, later when I upgrade I will invest in more memory or better memory. This is only for my first computer build for class. The only thing happening on this new pc is starcraft 2 [no poking fun or those who are not fans!] ;) 
m
l
April 30, 2011 12:41:07 PM

your board had 4 slots ... that means it can take up to 4 sticks. Dual channel just means the memory works faster in pairs... about 5-10%. It will still run with 3 in there Ive done it just not on that motherboard.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2011 3:56:36 PM

kingnoobe said:

LOL

Overclocking has nothing to do with ram on P67, first of all. Whether he notices a difference or not, you don't buy 1066 ram for a motherboard that takes 1333 or 1600 or higher, especially when it's more expensive. Duh

You have no idea what your talking about. You don't overclock ram at all with P67, even if your doing a massive overclock on your cpu. If you don't have a clue what YOUR talking about, you have no business telling people they are wrong. :sleep: 
m
l
April 30, 2011 11:22:18 PM

Hey, so this is a huge newb question but... why shouldn't I go with the 1066 if it is compatible with the board?
I do not have any intentions of OCing my cpu or anything because I am fresh in this field and I don't want to fry my components.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

-Kelly
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2011 12:24:38 AM

I'm saying you payed $44 (plus shipping) for 3gb of ddr3-1066 that does not even have heatsinks, when for $47 (free shipping) you could have had 4gb of ddr3-1333 with heatsinks.

Not to mention you can only use 2 of the 3 dimms you bought if you want to run in dual channel mode.

1333mhz ram is faster than 1066mhz ram. The speed of the ram has nothing to do with whether you overclock or not, the ram is not affected whatsoever by overclocking.
May 1, 2011 12:39:48 AM

I didn't think it was affected at all, it was someone above talking about OCing.
I actually did purchase the memory you recommended for me and I never even thought about heatsinks when browsing the other day.

Ty
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2011 2:30:48 PM

Always come here when needing suggestions on parts to buy. There are many knowledgeable people that can suggest something better than you would pick on your own and probably at a better price as well.
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:06:46 AM

Best answer selected by luckyniji13.
m
l
!