Best pci video card for (strategy) gaming

ebiloberlord

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Yes, I realize everyone hates pci cards since they are from the stone age.

My question is, I have an old(er) computer I'm trying to upgrade to the max. A new one will be coming shortly, but for my strategy non-intensive graphic games, I'd like the older one to be able to hack it.

Since my current (Radeon 9200) doesn't have problems with games from Paradox, Dominions 3, most of the space 4x games I've tried, I'd thought it would be able to hack Blood Bowl (based on a board game).

The current game I'm trying to play requires:
3D Graphics card: 128 MB 100% DirectX® 9 and shaders 2.0 compatible (NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600 / ATI RADEON X700 or higher)*

The other option involves a (newer) motherboard with integrated reasonably good graphics card to replace my (Sempron Socket 462) A7N8X Motherboard.

Any guidance is appreciated. Most recent DirectX support is best, with as much memory as possible.

Thanks.

The fastest PCI card (gosh, that's ancient lol) I can think of is the PCI edition of a PowerColor HD 4350, although pretty costly at $89.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131325

Otherwise for $39.99 this weaker SPARKLE GeForce 8400 GS should be able to play those games, although it seems you'll need to install older drivers from nVidia to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041

I doubt there are any socket 462 motherboards with integrated graphics as good as the cards I mentioned above.

blockedhead

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello did you have any luck with the 8400 GS?

I also have an older system, but feel, not always the most economical decision, that getting a PCI card, is better than replacing a system. New computers have just about the same "experience" as old ones...

With only 16MB of VRAM on this laptop, some games do have the black or white backgrounds. The dock has a PCI slot, and maybe best, because I hate disconnecting cables on this, so a express card expander is out of the question.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS