Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to Get Files from Unformatted HDD

Last response: in Storage
September 23, 2012 6:46:01 PM

Alright, so basically I reinstalled the OS on my SSD bootdrive (i use it stictly for downloading Windows 7 on). After this I reconnected my 500GB internal HDD and I can't view any of the files on it. I believe this to be due to the fact that I redownloaded he OS on my SSD and now the 500GB HDD is formatted for my computer. I have around 160-180GB of files on my HDD that I'd be very sad to lose. So basically I'm wondering how I can format the drive w/o deleting all of the files. I have a 300GB, 160GB & 150GB external HDD that I could maybe transfer the files onto and then format the drive? I'm currently trying to use a a free data recovery software called "ParetoLogic Data Recovery" that might work, although I've been running it for a few hours and it's taking a VERY long time to discover all of the files. Anyway, any advice will be very appreciated!

Link to PHOTOS. http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii581/Niko_Pappas/

More about : files unformatted hdd

a c 104 G Storage
September 23, 2012 9:18:22 PM

Hi there,

Well, you can't format a partition on a HDD without losing all the data on it.
Not sure exactly what you you have done with these two drives.

Could you please have the 500GB secondary HDD attached to your computer, then go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management Dialog box. It's true that a picture is worth a thousand words, so we can get an accurate picture of the state of these drives.

that way we can give you the best information as to what has happened to the 500GB HDD and how to correct it.
m
l
September 23, 2012 9:41:48 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

Well, you can't format a partition on a HDD without losing all the data on it.
Not sure exactly what you you have done with these two drives.

Could you please have the 500GB secondary HDD attached to your computer, then go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management Dialog box. It's true that a picture is worth a thousand words, so we can get an accurate picture of the state of these drives.

that way we can give you the best information as to what has happened to the 500GB HDD and how to correct it.

I added a photo but basically what I'm asking is there anyway to recover the files? maybe like using a file recovery program and downloading all the files of the unformatted "D drive" to the formatted external HDD "F drive" and then formatting the "D drive" and copying the files from the "F drive" back to the newly formatted "D drive".
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
September 23, 2012 10:21:06 PM

Can't tell till we se what you mean by an unformatted D drive. Drives have to be formatted to be assigned a Volume letter, like D. Is it partitioned, is it set up as a Basic or Dynamic drive, is the data volume listed as RAW???

Please upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box (use Photobucket or ImageShack), the copy the "forum" img link back into your post so we can see your setup. Will really help.
m
l
September 23, 2012 10:29:18 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Can't tell till we se what you mean by an unformatted D drive. Drives have to be formatted to be assigned a Volume letter, like D. Is it partitioned, is it set up as a Basic or Dynamic drive, is the data volume listed as RAW???

Please upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box (use Photobucket or ImageShack), the copy the "forum" img link back into your post so we can see your setup. Will really help.

Could you not see the photo that I attached to the original post? I'll take some more photos.
m
l
September 23, 2012 10:39:36 PM

I added a link to a photo album with 6 screen shots pertaining to the issue at hand.
m
l
September 23, 2012 11:02:04 PM

Quote:
You could put the drive in a USB enclosure and plug it in after you boot on your main OS.

So I'd have to buy a usb enclosure to plug my internal HDD into in order to connect it externally so that I'll be able to see the files?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 24, 2012 12:17:35 AM

Hi Niko,

I found the images of your Disk Management and Drive D: attached on your first post. Thanks, that helps a lot

The 475GB Disk 1 is a Basic Drive, with 1 large partition, and is formatted with the NTFS file system. Basically it is a healthy disk.
Also the one screen shot shows is has 180GB used, but no files seen in the directory!!! Very disturbing.

In the image below, you have a checkmark in the Compress the drive to save file space, which you don't want. Take the checkmark out and see if the files appear. The other question is did you happen to encrypt these files for any reason? (probably not since you can't compress and encrypt files simultaneously) but that would cause them to not show up.

Also give the Volume a Label in the TextBox, like Problem Files, or Data Files, so you and identify it in Windows explorer and Disk Management

If not, the you will need a data recovery program to retrieve them.

Go to the EaseUS Partition Master web site and download the Partition Master (free standard editon). Install it, and then go to the Main Menu.
See if the files are visible there. Don't format or do anything to the partition or file system. Here is the link to that site:

www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

If you can't see the files, then you will need to use their Data Recovery Wizard. It is free for the 1st 1GB, but since you have 180GB of files, you will need to purchase it to use it. Here is the URL.

www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

Hopefully that will be successful. Let us know.
m
l
September 24, 2012 12:53:27 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Niko,

I found the images of your Disk Management and Drive D: attached on your first post. Thanks, that helps a lot

The 475GB Disk 1 is a Basic Drive, with 1 large partition, and is formatted with the NTFS file system. Basically it is a healthy disk.
Also the one screen shot shows is has 180GB used, but no files seen in the directory!!! Very disturbing.

In the image below, you have a checkmark in the Compress the drive to save file space, which you don't want. Take the checkmark out and see if the files appear. The other question is did you happen to encrypt these files for any reason? (probably not since you can't compress and encrypt files simultaneously) but that would cause them to not show up.

Also give the Volume a Label in the TextBox, like Problem Files, or Data Files, so you and identify it in Windows explorer and Disk Management

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa400/John_VanKirk/LocalDiskProperties_zps34af0a0b.png

If not, the you will need a data recovery program to retrieve them.

Go to the EaseUS Partition Master web site and download the Partition Master (free standard editon). Install it, and then go to the Main Menu.
See if the files are visible there. Don't format or do anything to the partition or file system. Here is the link to that site:

www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

If you can't see the files, then you will need to use their Data Recovery Wizard. It is free for the 1st 1GB, but since you have 180GB of files, you will need to purchase it to use it. Here is the URL.

www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

Hopefully that will be successful. Let us know.

I used the EaseUS Partition Master and was able to see my file, here's an SS. http://i48.tinypic.com/6gh18k.jpg

Anyway, now that I can see the files is there anything I can do to recover them so they will be viewable on a normal basis and not only through a program?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 24, 2012 3:41:52 PM

nikopappas said:
I used the EaseUS Partition Master and was able to see my file, here's an SS. http://i48.tinypic.com/6gh18k.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/6gh18k.jpg

Anyway, now that I can see the files is there anything I can do to recover them so they will be viewable on a normal basis and not only through a program?

Before going further, could this 465GB Drive D have been used on a different computer? or used with a different User account, that wouldn't let you see the files, as in a separate Account?
Do you have a User account, in addition to a Administrator Account?

In the control panel, go to Users, and check it out. If you are using a regular User account, log off and log back on using the Administrator account, and see if the files in this volume are now visible.

If so, then it's a matter of adding your User account to the volume, or making the Security setting for Everyone.

Report back
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:18:17 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Before going further, could this 465GB Drive D have been used on a different computer? or used with a different User account, that wouldn't let you see the files, as in a separate Account?
Do you have a User account, in addition to a Administrator Account?

In the control panel, go to Users, and check it out. If you are using a regular User account, log off and log back on using the Administrator account, and see if the files in this volume are now visible.

If so, then it's a matter of adding your User account to the volume, or making the Security setting for Everyone.

Report back

The HDD was used on this computer, although, I used it before I redownloaded the OS. There was a problem with the OS that I had downloaded on my boot drive (SSD) so I reinstalled windows. After the reinstallation I tried to go into the "D drive" but no files would appear. Right now I only have 1 account on the computer.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 24, 2012 11:36:15 PM

nikopappas said:
The HDD was used on this computer, although, I used it before I redownloaded the OS. There was a problem with the OS that I had downloaded on my boot drive (SSD) so I reinstalled windows. After the reinstallation I tried to go into the "D drive" but no files would appear. Right now I only have 1 account on the computer.

Are you logged on with an Administrator Account?
Also do you have another free HDD that has nothing on it, size 300GB or larger, that you could use to recover your files to?
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:43:48 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Are you logged on with an Administrator Account?
Also do you have another free HDD that has nothing on it, size 300GB or larger, that you could use to recover your files to?

I have an external HDD that has 297GB right now.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 24, 2012 11:51:17 PM

I've seen viruses make all the files on a partition hidden.

Humor me and check Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files, folders, and drives

September 25, 2012 12:16:36 AM

Prepare to laugh because you have just been humored. Your simple fix has just saved me a lot of frustration and time. So thank you very much sir. Also, thanks so much for yourtime John, you helped me out a lot as well!
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 25, 2012 1:51:35 AM

That's wonderful!!! They are all visible now?

If so, then you will need to either leave that setting enabled, or in DiskPart, set the clear hidden attribute flag for this volume.
It's a cmd line setting, not hard, but a little techi.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 25, 2012 2:51:55 AM

nikopappas said:
Prepare to laugh because you have just been humored. Your simple fix has just saved me a lot of frustration and time. So thank you very much sir. Also, thanks so much for yourtime John, you helped me out a lot as well!

:D 
m
l
a b G Storage
September 28, 2012 5:12:25 AM

Nehwal, you missed the fact that he figured it out. It was that all the files on his drive were hidden and he didn't have that option checked in folder options.
m
l
October 5, 2012 3:18:43 AM

Best answer selected by nikopappas.
m
l
!