Fullscreen on two monitors (GTX480)

Quen

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hi everybody,

I just got a computer, which I will have to use for a project. I need to run a fullscreen application stretched on two monitors. When I start the application now in fullscreen mode, it is always restricted to one (the "primary") monitor, but I need it to be on both (half of the app, on the left monitor, half on the right).
It got a new GTX480 and Windows 7 x64. I could not find any helpful options in the nvidia driver panel, so I hope someone got a little hint for me.

Greetings,
Quen

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
You need an ATI 5000 series graphics card to be able to do that. ATI calls it Eyefinity, and you can stretch a single desktop across up to six monitors. nVidia does not have a comparable technology as far as I am aware.

They do (or will) and are calling it "Surround View" or something like that, it's supposed to be a feature of the new 256 series drivers which should be out sometime this month and is backwards compatible with older cards.

Two cards are required to run three screens not one card per screen.

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Man, that would be a hilariously epic fail if it was 1 card per screen... imagine 6 screen nVidia surround... lawl, or 8 for that matter :p

:lol: But you know that someone from Nv PR would make it sound like that was the best way to do if that was the case.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

It's not true, eyefinity is only for three monitors or more.

Two monitor can works on Ati and Nvidia.....

As far as I'm aware that is what the 256 series drivers will enable you to do, at the moment when SLi is used all the video output goes to one output port on one card.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes only one card is need for two monitors. for ATI cards one for three monitors, but only HD5XXX ser......

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes men, you'r right. Im little confused, i edit too many times this my reply. And i make mistake.........

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
You can do 3+ monitors with nVidia Surround RIGHT NOW if you have a couple 400 series cards or 200 series cards. I assume it works with a single card as well if you have 2 monitors.

Jeeze people, keep up on current events :p, the beta 256 drivers have been out for weeks.

So OP, d/l the 256 beta drivers and you're good to go. Google that shiat.

Although, I think the leaked version of the nVidia surround drivers are only for 32-bit...... you might have to dual-boot your comp...

I'm not so sure about that.
What’s Next for Release 256?
3D Vision Surround – Like you, we really wanted support for NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround in this first release, however, our software team is currently making some final improvements to the driver. As Tom mentioned here, Surround will be ready in the second release that is targeted for the end of June. We look forward to introducing 3D Vision Surround to you next month!

Source.
Although I'm not sure what that means as far as 3 screens and SLi is concerned but according to the press release 3D Vision Surround is not part of the 257.15 beta's.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

On nVidia card right now SLI or not you can connect only two monitors.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
How many monitors are supported when running in SLI mode?
With GeForce R180 drivers (or later), standard SLI configurations for 2-way, 3-Way, and quad SLI support a maximum of two monitors. Additional monitors (up to 6 monitors total enabled) may be enabled by using either a motherboard GPU and/or a PhysX capable graphics card (GeForce 8 series or higher with at least 256MB of memory) that does not have the same GPU as those that are SLI enabled. More information regarding multi-monitor in SLI can be found here.

http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html#confoptions

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Yeah, the 256.15's don't have it, but there is a leaked copy of beta driver 256.76 out there in the wild which is the 32-bit copy with nVidia surround in it. Problem is it is only 32-bit :p

There was some guy in a thread (I don't remember which site) who dual-booted his comp with a 32-bit and 64-bit version of W7 to get it working.

http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/articles/nvidia-256-76-driver-specially-for-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-470.html

Go nuts with nVidia Surround, happy multi-monitor!! :)

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Agreed, I mentioned it in the 470/480 thread so hopefully someone runs with it :p