Need for drivers/update for motherboard/chipset?

For a motherboard installed and in use in a computer, is there any need for upgrading the drivers for this? (Is it possible at all?)

If so, what is this called? It this the same as the chipset?
7 answers Last reply
More about need drivers update motherboard chipset
  1. If you are having problems then often updated drivers address those issues but if no problems it is not necessary to update.
    Chipset/Motherboard drivers (chipset drivers are a part of motherboard drivers) are usually available for download on manufacturers website.
  2. rolli59 said:
    If you are having problems then often updated drivers address those issues but if no problems it is not necessary to update.


    Thanks for your reply. I am not really having any problems, but like to keep the computer "in good shape" and wonders if this is something that should be done.

    In the Windows Device Manager, is it possible to see which driver version I am using? At what part would I look to find this?
  3. It does not hurt to update drivers. In device manager select properties for the hardware and there is a driver tab there.
  4. rolli59 said:
    In device manager select properties for the hardware and there is a driver tab there.


    Yes, but for what "device"? It is easy to know if there is, say, the graphic card, but the motherboard/chipset?
  5. All the controllers, some native to the chipset others separate chip, on the board use different drivers. In device manager you can only select them individually and see the driver version for that individual piece of hardware. (chipset drivers are just a bundle of hardware drivers)
  6. rolli59 said:
    All the controllers, some native to the chipset others separate chip, on the board use different drivers. In device manager you can only select them individually and see the driver version for that individual piece of hardware. (chipset drivers are just a bundle of hardware drivers)


    I am still unsure where to find them? :) Is it system devices?

  7. Yes and drive controllers and so on, right click an individual item select properties and look at the driver tab.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Chipsets Drivers