UT1 on Windows 2000 - 85 fps but still choppy?

I recently switched to Win2000, and of course I wanted to know how UT
plays on it. :) The fps are better than I expected, "timedemo 1" shows
I get 85 fps (vsync on 85hz) just like in Win98SE. So far, so good.

Yet, actual gameplay is not as fluid as it should be. When I stand
still, everything in the "world" moves smoothly - other players,
projectiles etc., there is no noticeable difference from Win98. But
when I move, it looks choppy. This is most noticeable when I strafe
left/right in front of a vertical edge - the edge moves in small jumps
instead of a continuous movement. Also, when I turn (ie, look around),
it seems that I'm doing so in small jumps, although there is no drop
in fps.

Any ideas? I already tried turning "DirectInput" on, but there was no
change. Using OpenGL (old and new) instead of D3D gave me around 45
fps, so I went back to D3D.

The setup:

AMD 1800+, 512 MB DDR
Win2000 SP4
DirectX 9.0b
GeForce2MX, latest drivers
SB Live, latest drivers
Logitech MX500 (USB), latest drivers
UT GOTY (436), D3D, 1024x768, 85 hz, vsync on

Thanks,
Robert

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:37:47 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
wrote:

>I recently switched to Win2000, and of course I wanted to know how UT
>plays on it. :) The fps are better than I expected, "timedemo 1" shows
>I get 85 fps (vsync on 85hz) just like in Win98SE. So far, so good.
>
>Yet, actual gameplay is not as fluid as it should be. When I stand
>still, everything in the "world" moves smoothly - other players,
>projectiles etc., there is no noticeable difference from Win98. But
>when I move, it looks choppy. This is most noticeable when I strafe
>left/right in front of a vertical edge - the edge moves in small jumps
>instead of a continuous movement. Also, when I turn (ie, look around),
>it seems that I'm doing so in small jumps, although there is no drop
>in fps.
>
>Any ideas? I already tried turning "DirectInput" on, but there was no
>change. Using OpenGL (old and new) instead of D3D gave me around 45
>fps, so I went back to D3D.
>

>The setup:
>
>AMD 1800+, 512 MB DDR
>Win2000 SP4
>DirectX 9.0b
>GeForce2MX, latest drivers
>SB Live, latest drivers
>Logitech MX500 (USB), latest drivers
>UT GOTY (436), D3D, 1024x768, 85 hz, vsync on
>
>Thanks,
>Robert

I remember having the exact same problem when I switched to Windows
2000, but I've been racking my brain and I can't remember the fix. I
*think* it had something to do with v-sync. Remember that setting
v-sync to "True" in your UT .ini file actually turns it off, so try
reversing that to see if it cures your problem.

rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke) Blessed us with

> I recently switched to Win2000, and of course I wanted to know
> how UT plays on it. :) The fps are better than I expected,
> "timedemo 1" shows I get 85 fps (vsync on 85hz) just like in
> Win98SE. So far, so good.
>
> Yet, actual gameplay is not as fluid as it should be. When I
> stand still, everything in the "world" moves smoothly - other
> players, projectiles etc., there is no noticeable difference
> from Win98. But when I move, it looks choppy. This is most
> noticeable when I strafe left/right in front of a vertical edge
> - the edge moves in small jumps instead of a continuous
> movement. Also, when I turn (ie, look around), it seems that I'm
> doing so in small jumps, although there is no drop in fps.
>
> Any ideas? I already tried turning "DirectInput" on, but there
> was no change. Using OpenGL (old and new) instead of D3D gave me
> around 45 fps, so I went back to D3D.
>

> The setup:
>
> AMD 1800+, 512 MB DDR
> Win2000 SP4
> DirectX 9.0b
> GeForce2MX, latest drivers
> SB Live, latest drivers
> Logitech MX500 (USB), latest drivers
> UT GOTY (436), D3D, 1024x768, 85 hz, vsync on
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

The things I am going to tell you here are just preliminary
stuff and you should try them at your own risk but however
wait for a reply from someone that maybe has had a similar
experience. I would like to ask are you playing online or
single player? The answer to this question may help to
determine if you are using a firewall for internet gaming.
If you are using a firewall you may need to optimize it
somehow so that it does not interfere with your gaming
sessions. Turning it off only as a *last* resort!. How many
hard disk drives do you have installed and what memory size are
they? You may need to set the pagefile for them.

First off, download and run AdAware and Spybot S&D especially if
you have been doing *any* internet surfing at all which I can see
you have or you wouldn't have posted your question here. It just
seems to me that something is robbing resources from your system
and hence the game. Also you might try looking in the folder
where you installed UT and look in the UT\System folder for a file
called UnrealTournament.log. Open this file in your favorite text
editor ( notepad ) or what have you and look for anything that
says error or warning. Use the search feature of the text editor
to do a non case sensitive search for the words error, failed, or
warning. If you find some of those words post only the relevant
lines from the file here so we can better determine your specific
problems if there are any.

You may have done some or all of this already but I hope this helps!.

:)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:37:47 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
>wrote:
>
>>I recently switched to Win2000, and of course I wanted to know how UT
>>plays on it. :) The fps are better than I expected, "timedemo 1" shows
>>I get 85 fps (vsync on 85hz) just like in Win98SE. So far, so good.
>>
>>Yet, actual gameplay is not as fluid as it should be. When I stand
>>still, everything in the "world" moves smoothly - other players,
>>projectiles etc., there is no noticeable difference from Win98. But
>>when I move, it looks choppy. This is most noticeable when I strafe
>>left/right in front of a vertical edge - the edge moves in small jumps
>>instead of a continuous movement. Also, when I turn (ie, look around),
>>it seems that I'm doing so in small jumps, although there is no drop
>>in fps.
>>
>>Any ideas? I already tried turning "DirectInput" on, but there was no
>>change. Using OpenGL (old and new) instead of D3D gave me around 45
>>fps, so I went back to D3D.
>>

>>The setup:
>>
>>AMD 1800+, 512 MB DDR
>>Win2000 SP4
>>DirectX 9.0b
>>GeForce2MX, latest drivers
>>SB Live, latest drivers
>>Logitech MX500 (USB), latest drivers
>>UT GOTY (436), D3D, 1024x768, 85 hz, vsync on
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Robert
>
>I remember having the exact same problem when I switched to Windows
>2000, but I've been racking my brain and I can't remember the fix. I
>*think* it had something to do with v-sync. Remember that setting
>v-sync to "True" in your UT .ini file actually turns it off, so try
>reversing that to see if it cures your problem.

Yes, I know that setting's reversed... my UT setting is actually
"vsync=False". I think I'll just mess around with everything
vsync-related and see what happens.

But it's good to know that it *can* be fixed :)

Robert

rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke) wrote:

>I think I'll just mess around with everything
>vsync-related and see what happens.

Hmm, that only made things worse. Anyone else got an idea?

"Robert Mischke" <rm888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hmm, that only made things worse. Anyone else got an idea?

have you applied the service packs for windows 2k? I don't know what to
suggest, UT has always run perfectly for me on all of the computers that I
have ever played it on with win2k.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:24:17 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
wrote:

>rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke) wrote:
>
>>I think I'll just mess around with everything
>>vsync-related and see what happens.
>
>Hmm, that only made things worse. Anyone else got an idea?

Making it worse might still tell us we're heading in the right
direction. Did you make sure to set your vid card to the same
settings. I.E. did you set v-sync to "always on" in the Nvidia
display properties?

On a different note, did you try the OGL driver from
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ?

I'm surprised you reported lower framerates with OGL, since that's not
my experience.

And on a completely different note, one *gotcha* I had when switching
to Windows 2000 was that the default acceleration for the sound card
is wrong. Go to Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia/Audio tab and
click the Advanced button under Sound Playback. Click the Performance
tab and make sure the slider is set to Full. The default settings was
screwing up the Creative EAX enhancements I used in UT.

Good luck.

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:

>have you applied the service packs for windows 2k?

Yes, all the latest drivers (including mainboard), SP4, latest
DirectX.

>I don't know what to
>suggest, UT has always run perfectly for me on all of the computers that I
>have ever played it on with win2k.

Ok, thanks anyway ;)

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:

>>>I think I'll just mess around with everything
>>>vsync-related and see what happens.
>>
>>Hmm, that only made things worse. Anyone else got an idea?
>
>Making it worse might still tell us we're heading in the right
>direction. Did you make sure to set your vid card to the same
>settings. I.E. did you set v-sync to "always on" in the Nvidia
>display properties?

Yes, I tried every combination of "on", "off",
"application-controlled" in the drivers with "true" and "false" in UT.
Basically everything turns out as it should (with the UT reversal),
and the status quo (vsync enabled) is the best setting so far.

>On a different note, did you try the OGL driver from
>http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ?

Hmm... the site seems to be down right now, so I can't check if I have
been there. I'll try again later.

>And on a completely different note, one *gotcha* I had when switching
>to Windows 2000 was that the default acceleration for the sound card
>is wrong. Go to Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia/Audio tab and
>click the Advanced button under Sound Playback. Click the Performance
>tab and make sure the slider is set to Full. The default settings was
>screwing up the Creative EAX enhancements I used in UT.

Not so unrelated, after all... changing that setting made most of the
problem go away! I have the EAX extensions installed, too, so that
might have been what fixed it for you as well.

After this fix, it's still less smooth than under 98, but I was
prepared for that - and at least I can play now without getting a
headache. Thanks a lot :)

Robert

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:51:01 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
wrote:

>>>Hmm, that only made things worse. Anyone else got an idea?
>>
>>Making it worse might still tell us we're heading in the right
>>direction. Did you make sure to set your vid card to the same
>>settings. I.E. did you set v-sync to "always on" in the Nvidia
>>display properties?
>
>Yes, I tried every combination of "on", "off",
>"application-controlled" in the drivers with "true" and "false" in UT.
>Basically everything turns out as it should (with the UT reversal),
>and the status quo (vsync enabled) is the best setting so far.
>
>>On a different note, did you try the OGL driver from
>>http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ?
>
>Hmm... the site seems to be down right now, so I can't check if I have
>been there. I'll try again later.
>
>>And on a completely different note, one *gotcha* I had when switching
>>to Windows 2000 was that the default acceleration for the sound card
>>is wrong. Go to Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia/Audio tab and
>>click the Advanced button under Sound Playback. Click the Performance
>>tab and make sure the slider is set to Full. The default settings was
>>screwing up the Creative EAX enhancements I used in UT.
>
>Not so unrelated, after all... changing that setting made most of the
>problem go away! I have the EAX extensions installed, too, so that
>might have been what fixed it for you as well.
>
>After this fix, it's still less smooth than under 98, but I was
>prepared for that - and at least I can play now without getting a
>headache. Thanks a lot :)
>
>Robert

You're most welcome!