Start Menu & Shortcuts

Is there a way to have programs pinned to the start menu but have no
shortcuts to said programs on my desktop? Where are program shortcuts kept?

Thank You

To display a program at the top of the Start menu
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_start_addprogram_howto.mspx

Which shortcuts? Shortcuts a all over the place.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
%homepath%\Start Menu

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
%homepath%\Desktop

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes