Nikon Coolpix Handle/battery pack.

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 21, 2004 4:48:55 PM

I just bought the Coolpix 8800 a couple of weeks ago and found that my
hands were too big to stay out of the way of the flash and other
sensors.

I have been using one of those table top tripods with the flexable legs
for my left hand hold. Worked kinda okay, but not all that
comfortable. The extra battery pack/handle that Nikon has for this
model is much too expensive for me.

With that in mind, I made a couple of sketches on the computer, visited
the local Ace hardware store and today put together my first iteration.
Certainly will need a change or two, but it is a start.

See it here:
http://s95171098.onlinehome.us/img/NikonHandle.jpg

The hardware, less the PVC pipe was less then $4.00

The 1 1/2" PVC pipe was on hand. I will wrap the final version with
handle bar tape I have from my bike riding days. (most expensive part
of the project.)

At 1 1/2" inside diameter and 6" long, the PVC pipe has more then
enough room to hold several batteries and ton of energy (micro
amprere-hours). I will cap the top and probably use a "thermos bottle
stopper" to plug the bottom. Open for ideas on every feature.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a source for the connector that plugs in to
the power plug on the Coolpix 8800 and/or the Nikon Speedlight power
connection? They are different.

Thanks for the help.

BobSam
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 8:29:31 PM

not sure where that drawing in the background came from, but you built it
differently than the drawing... the metal part it positioned over the pipe
in the drawing rather than away from it. this changes the position of the
camera given the same hand position... but that aside, it is very clever of
you to create this device to solve your problem.

"BobS" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just bought the Coolpix 8800 a couple of weeks ago and found that my
> hands were too big to stay out of the way of the flash and other
> sensors.
>
> I have been using one of those table top tripods with the flexable legs
> for my left hand hold. Worked kinda okay, but not all that
> comfortable. The extra battery pack/handle that Nikon has for this
> model is much too expensive for me.
>
> With that in mind, I made a couple of sketches on the computer, visited
> the local Ace hardware store and today put together my first iteration.
> Certainly will need a change or two, but it is a start.
>
> See it here:
> http://s95171098.onlinehome.us/img/NikonHandle.jpg
>
> The hardware, less the PVC pipe was less then $4.00
>
> The 1 1/2" PVC pipe was on hand. I will wrap the final version with
> handle bar tape I have from my bike riding days. (most expensive part
> of the project.)
>
> At 1 1/2" inside diameter and 6" long, the PVC pipe has more then
> enough room to hold several batteries and ton of energy (micro
> amprere-hours). I will cap the top and probably use a "thermos bottle
> stopper" to plug the bottom. Open for ideas on every feature.
>
> QUESTION: Does anyone have a source for the connector that plugs in to
> the power plug on the Coolpix 8800 and/or the Nikon Speedlight power
> connection? They are different.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> BobSam

December 31, 2004 10:25:28 AM

Thanks for the comment.
I made the drawing in the background. That was the engineer in me.
The actual part was the builder side. I have decided not to put a
battery pack in the handle. Easier for my play to just get a new set
of fresh batteries out of the bag and install.

Here is the finished part installed. Have used it for about 15
basketball games now and I haven't found anything to change. If anyone
decides to make on, make sure and use a wingnut that will strip long
before you strip the threads in your camera!

Here is a picture of the final assembly installed. Notice I also use a
cheap camera strap. ;-)

http://photos.imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/coolpix8800exampl...
Regards,
BobSam
January 2, 2005 2:06:16 PM

Thanks Bob,
I was using the table-top tripod and it was not comfortable for an
entire basketball game and my big hands kept getting in the way. Also,
the added battery pack/grip for the Coolpix 8800 is, we will be remain
polite, and just say it is vastly overvalued by Nikon. The bicycle
handlebar wrapping tap I used makes it easy to hold all game long. It
is angled for ergonomic comfort. I held a yard stick "naturally", had
wife take a picture and then made it that angle. Excluding the
expensive foam tape, it cost less then $5.

BobSam
January 2, 2005 2:44:58 PM

"BobS" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1104506728.351010.283500
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Here is a picture of the final assembly installed. Notice I also use a
> cheap camera strap. ;-)
>
> http://photos.imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/coolpix8800exampl...

It looks like all you have is a simple handgrip installed to the tripod
mount. Why not use an actual tripod instead? Those little table-top tripods
are very inexpensive. They could serve the same function, but with the
added function of holding the camera as a tripod, too.

I have the battery pack add on for my coolpix 5000, and it is a really nice
accessory. I almost never remove it. On a recent trip I shot 300 photos
over several days, changing batteries only once. At least 1/3 were with
flash, and all were with LCD screen. Many included a review of the shot
after taking, and I also spent at least an hour looking over what I had
shot on the LCD.2nd set still shows full charge.

There is the added benefit of the zoom and shutter buttons for portrait
orientation. I don't regret having bought mine for a moment.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
January 2, 2005 7:50:18 PM

"BobSam" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1104692776.441676.296750
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks Bob,
> I was using the table-top tripod and it was not comfortable for an
> entire basketball game and my big hands kept getting in the way. Also,
> the added battery pack/grip for the Coolpix 8800 is, we will be remain
> polite, and just say it is vastly overvalued by Nikon. The bicycle
> handlebar wrapping tap I used makes it easy to hold all game long. It
> is angled for ergonomic comfort. I held a yard stick "naturally", had
> wife take a picture and then made it that angle. Excluding the
> expensive foam tape, it cost less then $5.
>
> BobSam

For a single event, like a basket ball game, having a special purpose
device that provides good comfort makes good sense. If you were going on a
trip though, you might take the tripod, and use some closed cell pipe
insulation to pad it. That would probably double the price of your
investment ;-)

How much do they get for the grip for the 8800? I think I paid about $125
for the one for the 5000. I think it was worth it for the kind of
photography I do -- mostly long trips. I think they improved on battery
system for the 8800 too, reducing the need for extra batteries.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
January 3, 2005 4:30:54 AM

In article <Xns95D2B59AEE108bobatcarolnet@216.196.97.142>, usenetMAPS@2
fiddles.com says...

>"BobSam" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1104692776.441676.296750
>@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Thanks Bob,
>> I was using the table-top tripod and it was not comfortable for an
>> entire basketball game and my big hands kept getting in the way. Also,
>> the added battery pack/grip for the Coolpix 8800 is, we will be remain
>> polite, and just say it is vastly overvalued by Nikon. The bicycle
>> handlebar wrapping tap I used makes it easy to hold all game long. It
>> is angled for ergonomic comfort. I held a yard stick "naturally", had
>> wife take a picture and then made it that angle. Excluding the
>> expensive foam tape, it cost less then $5.
>>
>> BobSam
>>

>For a single event, like a basket ball game, having a special purpose
>device that provides good comfort makes good sense. If you were going on a
>trip though, you might take the tripod, and use some closed cell pipe
>insulation to pad it. That would probably double the price of your
>investment ;-)
>
>How much do they get for the grip for the 8800? I think I paid about $125
>for the one for the 5000. I think it was worth it for the kind of
>photography I do -- mostly long trips. I think they improved on battery
>system for the 8800 too, reducing the need for extra batteries.
>
>Bob

When looking at the possibility of replacing my 5700 battery pack (before Ed
Ruf helped me get it fixed by Nikon), the price was ~US$135 for THAT pack. Now
that it works properly, it is great. As you stated, the available power is
worth the price, as well as the general balance of the whole camera. Now, it
fits my hand much better, plus the stated ergonomic improvement of the
vertical release.

Hunt
!