Geforce 9800 GX2 vs Radeon 4890

I've been out of the loop with graphics cards for a while. I purchased a super computer with a Geforce 9800 GX2 1024MB PCIe card a while ago.

The graphics card is now faulty, and the company is offering to replace it with a Radeon HD 4890 1024MB card.

My question is, is this a good deal? Are the two cards comparible?
9 answers Last reply
More about geforce 9800 radeon 4890
  1. 9800GX2 would be faster,but the difference isn't huge.Also 4980 runs cooler and has less power consumption too
  2. An HD5850 would be the equivalent of a 9800GX2, an HD5870 being much better. The 4890 is worse, but not terribly. You might even see an improvement in games as well.
  3. Yup,a 5850 would be a more reasonable upgrade
  4. Thatnks for your replies. Is there any reviews I can look at for this. For example, I am most interested in looking at Crysis FPS for both the cards.

I have tried to search for this information in google, but havent found anything of value yet.
  5. A GTX 285 would be a more appropriate comparison for a 9800 GX2.
  6. A gtx 285 compares on par with a 5850, it's about the same level of performance.

Jagdipa, here's a VGA card chart with FPS performance levels documented for Crysis Warhead:

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/article/vga-charts-december-2009/5
  7. Quote:

This is exactly what I was looking for!!

From this, I can see that the cards are more or less comparible - it all depends on the game. The GX2 might be ahead alittle.

The most important page was the one with the resolutions. I have a huge monitor that runs 1900xwhatever, so the 4890 might be better for me.

Please remember that this is a warranty replacement. So I dont have the choice to upgrade. I can only get one of comparible value.
  8. jagdipa said:
    This is exactly what I was looking for!!

From this, I can see that the cards are more or less comparible - it all depends on the game. The GX2 might be ahead alittle.

The most important page was the one with the resolutions. I have a huge monitor that runs 1900xwhatever, so the 4890 might be better for me.

Please remember that this is a warranty replacement. So I dont have the choice to upgrade. I can only get one of comparible value.

Yeah but when my 9800 gx2 died, I got the EVGA rep to give me a GTX 285, so it can happen by chance! : )
  9. Quote:
    Its XFX right? Ask for a HD5850 and sometimes the rep would be nice enough to approve it when they have excess stock. Good Luck!

+1
    Try to get a 5850,but at the end if you couldn't then don't worry much,4890 is still a good card
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Radeon Graphics