SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, school work, AUTOCAD

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is the best deal, Windows 7

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440 by 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Run Crysis on max with very playable framerate.

I was thinking about doing a 5870 build but that stretched my budget a tiny bit. But if it gave the best performance I would definantly be fine with it. I think I was working with a Phenom x4 955 and an XFX 5870. The rest was unknown. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build 1100 price limit
  1. Best answer
    How does a 5870 stretch the budget? I've got build priced with the X4 and 5870 starting at $1,000...

I should point out that even that much power isn't required to play Crysis at your resolution. You'd get by with a 5770. Also, depending on how much you use AutoCAD, I'd look at some nVidia cards, specifically the GTX 460.

Anyway, here's the best gaming build for $1,100, but I'm still working on one that's a lot different to account for the AutoCAD work:

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $285 after rebate (with free game)
    GPU/PSU: HD 5870 and XFX 750W $430 after rebate
    RAM: G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $105
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
    Case/Optical: Coolermaster 690 and cheap SATA DVD burner $73

Total: $1,068, leaving room for a keyboard and mouse.

Here's the alternate build:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $474
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $155 after rebate
    GPU/OS: GTX 460 1 GB and Windows 7 $325
    HDD/PSU: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB and Corsair 650W $135 after rebate
    Case/Optical: Coolermaster 690 and cheap SATA DVD burner $73

Total: $1,162. I think that's about as low as I can get it. You could drop the GTX 460 to the 768 MB model (with Windows) and save another $35. That would still give you enough power for gaming.
  2. That looks great. And AutoCAD isnt very important, just a little side hobby. Also, it stretched the budget a bit since I always forgot to put in the OS so it put me over the edge a bit. Also, that i9 and motherboard deal isn't available anymore, what is another good motherboard that would fit all my needs?
  3. Bump: Added the second build and changed the first one.
  4. Will I need a cooler? Or will the case fans be good enough? Also, are you sure that that case is large enough to fit everything?
  5. You need a CPU cooler, but the CPU will come with a stock cooler that's sufficient if you don't try to push the CPU higher. If you want to overclock, a couple of good coolers are the Sycthe SCMG-2100 ($35) and the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (should be $30, don't get it from Newegg, it's price is inflated right now).

You certainly don't need to replace the case fans.

The case is large enough to fit everything.
  6. The problem with that board is that you won't be able to Crossfire. The second PCIe slot is running at 4x, which makes it useless.
  7. Ok. Ill stick with the first board. I think Im ordering my parts today! Thank you so much!
  8. Best answer selected by CoolMoose.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product