Would a 128 Gig be enough

I was thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop. I haven't checked prices for a pretty long time and I was hoping the prices would have gone down a little but that hasn't really happened. Right now I have a 320 Gig mechanical drive and I was hoping to be able to get a 320 Gig SSD for a decent price but that's not going to happen right now So what I wanted to know is what is the smallest gig SSD can I get away with? Pretty much all that would be on there is the OS (W7 64 bit), motherboard drivers, and a few programs.

Solution
1) Initial pricing of 128 gig Sata III SSDs were right around $200, currently around $100.

2) I bough a 256 gig Samsung 830 and a 256 gig Curcial m4 both for $180 each. Just have to wait for a sale. Although I don't relly recomment the Agility III, But if your laptop only has sata II port it is an option as I think I've seen it on sale for $160 for the 240 gig version. The Agillity III is really a SATA II SSD (performance wise) labled sata III (LOL)

3) based on your current used space a 128 gig would be fine.
Just remember to:
.. manage your swap file, set min and max both to 1024 mbs. Saves about 1 1/2 x ram minus 1 gig.
.. Disable hibernation (saves an amount of disk space equal to Ram)
.. Either disable restore points, or...

jfaul4820

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
how much space are you using now on your c drive? 120gb shoukd be plenty for the os and a few programs but if you are storing mucic, pictures etc then you can run out quickly. Try using a usb stick or in a laptop if you have a card reader installed use an sd card, i saw a 64 gb sd card for 20 bucks yesterday.

It would just be the OS and Word, Excel, and stuff like that. IF there were any pictures or music I would use a thumb drive or SD card and save it to that. See what makes it hard to determine the amount of space being used is because Asus split the 320 Gigs into two drives a C: drive and a D: drive. The C: drive is 186 Gigs and of that only 37.3 is actually being used. The D: drive is 254 gigs with 423 MB's in use. So it makes it kind of confusing.

I guess but I meant I was hoping that by now it would be 200 dollars for 300 gigs or even better more like the pricing of mechanical hard drives.

1) Initial pricing of 128 gig Sata III SSDs were right around $200, currently around $100.

2) I bough a 256 gig Samsung 830 and a 256 gig Curcial m4 both for $180 each. Just have to wait for a sale. Although I don't relly recomment the Agility III, But if your laptop only has sata II port it is an option as I think I've seen it on sale for $160 for the 240 gig version. The Agillity III is really a SATA II SSD (performance wise) labled sata III (LOL)

3) based on your current used space a 128 gig would be fine.
Just remember to:
.. manage your swap file, set min and max both to 1024 mbs. Saves about 1 1/2 x ram minus 1 gig.
.. Disable hibernation (saves an amount of disk space equal to Ram)
.. Either disable restore points, or LIMIT the amount of disk space. each restore point takes 300 mbs. 10 restore points equal 3 gigs lost disk space.

PS caution on USB sticks and SD cards - they are NOT all created equal. For SD cards make sure it is a class 10. For USB thumbdrives, check th read/write performance - if not listed, DON'T buy.

Added:

Currently the best 256 gig under $200 is probably the Agility 4 for $150 after $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038487%204017&IsNodeId=1&name=%24100%20-%20%24200
NOTE: the 240 gig uses the SF controller which I'm not a big fan of.

For 128 gig SSDs
Only one under $100 that I would recommend
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791
My personal choice is iether the Curcial M4, Plextor M3, or the Samsung 830.
All 3 perform almost Identical in REAL world. However the Curcial M4 or Plextor would be easier on battery.

Solution