Core i7 high temperature

Hi there,
I have noticed my Intel Core i7 920 has a very high temperature when fully loaded, around 92°C! At idle the CPU temperature is about 45°C with a room temperature of about 27°C. With normal pc usage the temperature is around 45-50°C but when it is stressed (like with 3d-rendering) the temperature starts to raise very quickly.
I have checked the fan (the original one that comes with the CPU) and the thermal paste, I have tried to put the paste in several ways but with no result. The fan seems to be correctly placed on the motherboard.
I'm a bit confused... Could you help me?
14 answers Last reply
More about core high temperature
  1. Max temp for the Chip is 100°C. Your normal/idle temps are fine. Replacing the stock cooler with a after market one might be the best option.
  2. any overclock? The stock cooler does not do a very good job with any overclock. Those full load temps @ stock clock do seem a little high... The stock cooler for the 920 has been known to be junk. The plastic tabs to not do a very good job at holding down the cooler and keeping equal pressure across the cpu. Did you take off the stock thermal paste and apply new? If so what kind? I would recommed a new cooler. I have the vigor monsoon III on my 920 and it does a great job. A more reasonably priced cooler that my friend has on his 920 and still does a great job is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065.
  3. rolli59 said:

that was the link i meant to put in there. My buddy has that cooler and it does surprisingly well for how cheap it is. Makes me feel like a sucker spending $55 on the vigor monsoon III but, I guess i'm a sucker for blue lights...
  4. +1 for the Hyper 212+. If you live near a Microcenter, you can grab the 212+ for $25 or so: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

For $25, that's a damn good.
  5. Tank you for your suggestions, I'm wondering if the Hyper 212 will fit into my case, since it seems to be very big! :o
  6. keplero said:
    Tank you for your suggestions, I'm wondering if the Hyper 212 will fit into my case, since it seems to be very big! :o

What case?
  7. Your idle temps are only 7C under mine at a 3.8 Ghz OC. You haven't mentioned case and case fans. Seems like upgrade on both is in order.

Read this.....

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

I'd limit myself to one of the 10 listed there, though given what you've said, I'd look hard at

Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2100
    Xigmatek Balder SD1283
    Cogage TRUE-Spirit
  8. My case is an Elite CM 332. I have only two fans inside, the CPU standard fan and another fan on the rear side of the case (plus obviously the power supply's fan).
  9. The hyper is 6.24" tall your case is 7.5" wide, it should fit if you remove the plastic duct on the side panel.
  10. rolli59 said:
    The hyper is 6.24" tall your case is 7.5" wide, it should fit if you remove the plastic duct on the side panel.

Thank you for your help, I will buy that cooler then! :)
  11. Ok, I have mounted the new Hyper 212 Plus on my CPU and now it seems to run cooler. I have overclocked my Core i7 920 @ 3190 MHz and now with Prime95 (100% load) the temperature stays at 75°C. Do you think this is accettable for long time? I need to render some 3d graphics.
  12. Yes that is OK prime should put it to the max.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Temperature Product