chris41336

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi guys,

I just recently was given an INtel Core 2 Duo T8100 SLAUU processor by a friend which I want to put in my son's Gateway P6831-FX laptop (used to be mine, but I got a new one). The problem is, my friend isn't too good with computers and told me that it was both a "Socket 478" and a Micro-FCPGA 478 Processor. Now, I know that my old 6831 FX is a Socket P laptop, and if I am not mistaken "Micro-FCPGA 478" is the same thing as Socket P, so if the processor is that then all is well.

I also believe that "Socket 478" is an older socket Type, for Pentium 4's and such, and I doubt that a Core 2 Duo would be made to those speficications so I think he misspoke due to the fact that socket P is 478-pin as well.

Basically, I just don't want to put this processor into my son's laptop and have it break. I looked up the SLAUU code on the intel website and other sites, and it always says that the Processor is FCPGA 478 but there was also a 479-ball model made with different code letters. I assume there is a physical difference between these two that I'd be able see if he is cmopletely wrong and it is one of those, right?

Do any of yuo guys know if any Core 2 Duo's were made for Socket 478 and not Socket P? If so, and I put this processor in there, will it fry his laptop?

Also, the stepping on this is C0. The most recent T8100 is M0. Should I be concerned? Are there any bad things about the C0 stepping for this processor?

Thanks alot guys!

Chris

Basically, I just don't want to put this processor into my son's laptop and have it break.
If it wasn't compatible with the socket, it wouldn't fit in the socket.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33916
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_P

Also, the stepping on this is C0. The most recent T8100 is M0. Should I be concerned? Are there any bad things about the C0 stepping for this processor?
The stepping is a very minor change. It will not affect compatibility.

chris41336

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I have read that although it may physically fit, it might not necessarily work despite the same pin configuration in the slots. I basically just want to make sure that Socket P is the only slot that this processor was designed for.

How can I tell if the BIOS supports it? I know that in this laptop's prime, alot of people simply slipped in the new Penryn Core 2 Duos and they worked like a charm without a Bios update because back in 08 when I was thinking of doing this upgrade for myself I was reading up on it.

But just in case, how can I check?