RAM compatibility with ASUS M4A87TD/USB3

Status
Not open for further replies.

theholychicken

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hello, I'm building a desktop this summer, and while I've worked with hardware before (mostly putting things together, upgrading components), I've never had to consider compatibility before.

So far I've bought a 600W PSU, 60Gb OZC SSD, Radeon HD 6850, and 8G (2x4G) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9).

I'm getting a Phenom II x6 1090t, and was looking at ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 as my mb (newegg combo is $275, so ~$25 off). I just wanted to make sure my RAM was going to work. On the mb details it said the memory standard was 2000 (OC), 1600, 1333, and 1066, so I think I should be fine?

Or any other board suggestions would be awesome. I want an ASUS board though.

I'll be using the desktop to watch HD media as well as maybe some computer games. I mostly/only play my 360 so I doubt I'll be crossfiring anytime soon. I'm planning to hook up the HDMI out to my TV. Oh, and I may OC a little, but nothing extreme like over 4.0.

Here are the other parts I'll get when I find a deal, if it'll make a difference.
Case: Azza Solano 1000
HDD: some 1TB 7200 rpm

Thank you so much!

Solution
CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 is not on the ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Quality/Qualified Vendor List; however other Corsair models are. So, there is no guarantee that the RAM you've selected will work with the mobo you've selected. However, from a technical standpoint, the mobo does support DDR3 and 1600 MHz, so there's no reason to believe that the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 will not work.

You should send an email inquiry to Asus Tech Support if you want a definitive answer.

You can download the QVL here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#MSL
CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 is not on the ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Quality/Qualified Vendor List; however other Corsair models are. So, there is no guarantee that the RAM you've selected will work with the mobo you've selected. However, from a technical standpoint, the mobo does support DDR3 and 1600 MHz, so there's no reason to believe that the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 will not work.

You should send an email inquiry to Asus Tech Support if you want a definitive answer.

You can download the QVL here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#MSL

Solution

theholychicken

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I called ASUS support and the guy I talked to told me Corsair Vengeance was geared towards intel, and I should just buy something off of the QVL. I guess now I'm hoping to find a person who has the mobo and RAM and has it working...

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
While it is not listed on Corsair's website as compatible with that board. If I were you I would be buying an AM3+ ready board, bulldozer should be out by summer. As the others said just because it is not listed on the QVL, this doesn't guarantee that it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.