Will this CPU bottleneck?

I'm a first time PC builder and i just ordered the components off of newegg. I wanted advice on if I made a CPU purchase that is balanced with the rest of my rig. This PC will be used solely for gaming.

Build:
Rosewill Blackbone Case
ASROCK 770DE AM3
HIS HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
OCZ 600W PSU
AMD Athlon II X3 445
OCZ Special Ops 4Gb DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Blue 320GB HD
Windows 7

My budget was to stay around $400 without factoring in the price of the OS. The games I really want to play for now are Starcraft 2 and Civilization 5.

As a side note: my friend told me I made a huge mistake by not going with a phenom II. At the moment I am not comfortable with overclocking or unlocking. I am also not opposed to having to upgrade the CPU or Gfx card in about a year or year and a half. I just need this to provide a balanced gaming experience until then.

Any thoughts on this CPU with the rest of this build?
10 answers Last reply
More about will bottleneck
  1. ur friend knows nothing, that cpu is fine
  2. Fine match even if you upgrade your GPU a notch or two.
  3. CPU is fine. Is there any reason you're going for a 4850?

A 5770 would be better and supports DX11 and isn't that much more expensive.
  4. Well, I was on a pretty strict budget, $400 and certainly no more than $500 after shipping etc. I read that the 4850 is a workhorse and may even be a bit more solid than the 5770 (with the exclusion of the DX11). I was able to get it for about $40 cheaper than the 5770. The only issue I was having was with the DX 11. I figured that the 5770 wouldn't be good enough to run games all the way up with DX11 anyway, so i decided it would be better to save my money now, get a solid performance card, and then buy the 5850 when it comes down in price (and by that time more games will support DX11).

I guess i kind of had a similar rationale with the CPU. Since I read the Athlon 2 X3 was solid performance, and most games don't even make much use of 4 cores, it would be better to save now and get a 4 core later when they are cheaper and more useful.

Hopefully my logic works out!
  5. Quote:
    Well, I was on a pretty strict budget, $400 and certainly no more than $500 after shipping etc. I read that the 4850 is a workhorse and may even be a bit more solid than the 5770 (with the exclusion of the DX11).

If by "more solid" you mean better performing, you're a bit off. It's the 4870 that is potentially a touch better than the 5770 in performance. The 4850 is a step down. That said, the 4850 is a great GPU but you may run into overheating issues if you got the one with a single slot cooler, especially the older models. I had to modify my sapphire 4850's bios to get the fan curve keeping the temps at an appropriate level.
  6. This is the card I purchased:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161296

Should this one stay cool?

Do you think I made a mistake by going for the 4850 over the 4870 or 5770?
  7. It should stay cool. If you are at resolution 1680 x 1050 or lower you are fine with the HD4850.
  8. I'll definitely be at a lower resolution than that. I'll have it hooked up DVI to a Dell 17' LCD (from around 2006) I think it may have 1280 x 1024 if I remember correctly or maybe even lower.

Hopefully once the 5850 or 5870 comes down a bit I'll make a new purchase for Star Wars the old Republic and Diablo 3 (which are the next games on my list when they come out)
  9. Quote:
    I'll definitely be at a lower resolution than that. I'll have it hooked up DVI to a Dell 17' LCD (from around 2006) I think it may have 1280 x 1024 if I remember correctly or maybe even lower.

At that resolution, you'll have no problems, even with Crysis. I have an Athlon IIx4 at 3.2GHz with my 4850. I just ran a couple games at your resolution.
    Crysis Warhead: 1280 x 1024 - usually kept above 40FPS with all settings on "gamer" and AA turned off.
    MW2: 1280 x 1024 - Completely maxxed out with AA 40-90FPS in intense levels.

And, in my experience with my old HIS radeon 3870 and what I have read, HIS tends to have some well cooled cards compared to the competition.
  10. ct1615 said:
    HIS has some very nice custom coolers, they also are notorious for horrible customer service.

Good to know lol. I didn't know that because my HIS was used when I got it and out of warranty.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product