Accessing old raid 1 data/raid 1 issues

I'm having my fair share of issues with using raid 1 recently! At first everything was fine and ran raid 1 onto 2 WD 500gb drives just using my gigabyte mobo. After a few days my computer started freezing for some reason (I'm still rather unsure), and eventually started to do so often. Well after having to restart a couple times I noticed the status info of the raid worked its way down to "degraded"

The steps I took are

- Computer starts freezing...
- After multiple restarts my raid becomes degraded...
- After trying to fix, decide to simply do over...
- took out one of the drives (to retrieve data from later)
- installed a new drive to replace the old removed one
- deleted old raid, wiped and started fresh raid 1
- installed windows and all that...

No freezes and everything, it runs fine!

However, after plugging back in my old hard drive I found I could not access the data, or even see the drive anywhere...
I guess I just would like to know if there were any way to retrieve the data from this HD? Do you think I could simply boot into ubuntu or something like that and see it, when windows could not? Or is it simply lost...

Also, a bit away from this issue...what's a good way to slow down a fan? About to try taking out the cmos battery for a bit, but if there's an easier way (I'll have to take out the video card to get to it...) I'd like to know :) Tried speedfan to no avail.
1 answer Last reply
More about accessing raid data raid issues
  1. If it's a different version of the operating system, you have to boot into safe mode and set the NTFS permissions so that you can read all the data off of the drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Computer Western Digital Storage