Solved

Will Ath II X3 bottleneck X2 5770?

Building a friend a gaming PC. He wants to play games on his 46" 1080p Plasma HDTV.

The plan was a Athlon II X3 440 or 445 (with mild overclock), a 5770 1GB, And a mobo that would allow him to add a second 5770 in a couple years.

I wonder if the Athlon II x3 will significantly bottleneck the two cards?? Thanks for the help/advice.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will bottleneck 5770
  1. Best answer
    Define mild overclock. 3.4ghz+ You should be quite fine.
  2. shadow187 said:
    Define mild overclock. 3.4ghz+ You should be quite fine.

Ok, thanks a lot. I just worry, because I have yet to successfully OC my X3 440 (not even stable at 3.3, but i guess thats a diff topic for another day).
  3. EnderYeah said:
    Ok, thanks a lot. I just worry, because I have yet to successfully OC my X3 440 (not even stable at 3.3, but i guess thats a diff topic for another day).

Your rana should be able to do at least 3.6Ghz with proper cooling, let me know if you need any help ;)
  4. Best answer selected by OvrClkr.
  5. Agreed, most/all Athlon IIs get to 3.8ghz before they start having issues. Remember, AMD cpus are less sensitive to voltage adjustments than intel CPUs are.
  6. I'll probably write a more comprehensive post regarding my rana OC sometime soon, but here is a quick breakdown:
    It wont boot at speeds beyond 3.3 and it crashes (forced reboot) in games if above 3.1.
    I think I just need to update the BIOS. Ive havent had the time to sit down and figure it out, but maybe this weekend. Also, Im not sure how to update a bios. I think my ASUS 790x mobo has an easy Bios Update Utility.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm really impressed with the quick and high-quality answers ive been getting.
  7. Send me a PM and I will make sure you get at least 3.6Ghz, you can also create a thread if you want and send me the link, which ever is easier for you.
  8. OvrClkr said:
    Send me a PM and I will make sure you get at least 3.6Ghz, you can also create a thread if you want and send me the link, which ever is easier for you.

:)

Awesome. Thanks! I'll send you something when i get out of work in a few hours.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Gaming Bottleneck Games Graphics