Sign in with
Your question

Vertex 4 or Samsung 830?

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2012 9:37:02 AM

I'm looking for a 120/128gb ssd for my first build. I was going to buy the 830 but then the vertex 4 came out. Because the vertex 3 was very good, should I switch to the vertex 4? This drive is just for the os and slender ;) 
thanks for replying in advance :D 

More about : vertex samsung 830

November 2, 2012 12:23:59 AM

vinsonc11 said:
I'm looking for a 120/128gb ssd for my first build. I was going to buy the 830 but then the vertex 4 came out. Because the vertex 3 was very good, should I switch to the vertex 4? This drive is just for the os and slender ;) 
thanks for replying in advance :D 

Idk. If your still interested but yes get the vertex 4 ocz is very major and they offer 5 year warranty
a b Ô Samsung
a c 260 G Storage
November 2, 2012 5:03:10 PM

I recommend the Samsung 830. It has a stellar track record.

The OCZ Vertex 4 was released prematurely last April when OCZ was desperately trying to generate revenue. OCZ was and continues to be heavily in debt and operating at a loss. Proper validation was never performed. The end result for consumers were 5 firmware updates to fix problems. One firmware update to improve performance or add a feature is okay but 5 firmware updates in a very short time is unacceptable.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the OCZ and Samsung sections and follow the links to the technical reviews.
Related resources
November 2, 2012 5:07:20 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I recommend the Samsung 830. It has a stellar track record.

The OCZ Vertex 4 was released prematurely last April when OCZ was desperately trying to generate revenue. OCZ was and continues to be heavily in debt and operating at a loss. Proper validation was never performed. The end result for consumers were 5 firmware updates to fix problems. One firmware update to improve performance or add a feature is okay but 5 firmware updates in a very short time is unacceptable.

Thats total bs. OCZ Vertex 3(prev. Generation) had speeds that was unheard of at an excellent rate. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQzooe5S5Q
a b G Storage
November 2, 2012 5:13:43 PM

hbeduryan818 said:
Thats total bs. OCZ Vertex 3(prev. Generation) had speeds that was unheard of at an excellent rate. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQzooe5S5Q

The majority of the updates where fixing bsod issues I believe. I 100% agree with Johnny on this one, go with with Samsung 830 and avoid any possible issues.
November 2, 2012 5:16:43 PM

tomatthe said:
The majority of the updates where fixing bsod issues I believe. I 100% agree with Johnny on this one, go with with Samsung 830 and avoid any possible issues.

If you go to amazon.cpm check out samsung 830 and 840 reviews the 840 is a horrid people complain about speeds being low no power to it ect ect the vertex 4 has reviews of people saying that the newest driver adds even more speed and more relaiability to the drive. I myself have an ocz 64gb for boot amd 256gb for sotrage and nothing too complain boots in 13 second post
a b Ô Samsung
a c 260 G Storage
November 2, 2012 5:33:00 PM

hbeduryan818 - vinsonc11 asked about the Samsung 830 and the OCZ Vertex 4. The OCZ Vertex 3 was never mentioned in vinsonc11's post or my post. I'm not sure why you are bringing it up. The Vertex 3 is an older drive that was released in May 2011. A lot has changed since then, especially with OCZ. Have you read the mainstream, enterprise, and financial articles about OCZ?

EDIT - User comments at Amazon? How about the user comments at newegg.com? Here are the top 100:

http://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSD/SubCategory/ID-636?P...

As you can readily see user comments at newegg placed OCZ ssd's near the bottom of the list. Personally I don't pay that much attention to user comments for a variety of reasons. I prefer technical reviews.

BTW - Some of the technical review sites had to publish multiple reviews of the Vertex 4 because of all the firmware updates.
November 2, 2012 5:35:31 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
hbeduryan818 - vinsonc11 asked about the Samsung 830 and the OCZ Vertex 4. The OCZ Vertex 3 was never mentioned in vinsonc11's post or my post. I'm not sure why you are bringing it up. The Vertex 3 is an older drive that was released in May 2011. A lot has changed since then, especially with OCZ. Have you read the mainstream, enterprise, and financial articles about OCZ?

My point is samsung might br good with one drive but them upgrading their ssd lines is horrible. Ex: vertex 3 to 4 was a huge boost in performance but 830 to 849 was more of a downgrade
a b Ô Samsung
a c 260 G Storage
November 2, 2012 6:22:13 PM

HMMM.... The 840 is still off subject but that's okay. It appears you haven't read the technical reviews. Here is a summary from an 840 review published by The SSD Review:

Examining performance with the 840 Pro is a bit amusing as it has hit so many firsts. To summarize, this is the list of ‘best scores’ that we have seen with the 840 Pro in this analysis:

1.Top High Sequential Write Performance in Incompressible Data Testing;
2.Top 512k Read and Write Performance in Incompressible Data Testing;
3.Top 4k Read Performance in Incompressible Data Testing;
4.Top 4k-QD32 Read and Write Performance in Incompressible Data Testing;
5.Top AS SSD Total Score;
6.Top AS SSD Copy Bench Results;
7.Top Anvil Storage Utilities Total Score;
8.Top Read and Write IOPS;
9.Top PCMark Vantage Total Score

Here is a link to the review:

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-840-pro-512...

Here's a summary of what Tom's Hardware published:

Samsung's 840 Pro is making a good first impression in our lab. It's very quick, topping a majority of our benchmark charts. Moreover, it achieves its great performance while using less power than its competition. This makes the 840 Pro the fastest, most efficient SSD we've seen to date.

Here's a link to the review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-...

There are links to 9 more technical reviews in the ssd database

Having posted this I do not recommend purchasing an 840 at this time. The 840 does not yet have an established track record. As usual I recommend waiting until the 840 has been available for 6 months to see if any problems pop up.
!