Ping MeltDown!

Last response: in Video Games
June 13, 2004 12:42:08 AM

I just got done downloading and checking out some of the mods you
have on your site like MonsterMadness, Bouncer, Shrinker, and
StickeyGrenades for UT!. These are very good!. :-) I liked your
MonsterMadness way better than Eavy's MonsterMadness! Your
MonsterMadness is a lot more configurable and has the mod menu
interface that Eavy's just doesn't have. Eavy's MonsterMadness
says you can add things to the UnrealTournament.ini to configure
it, and I tried it exactly the way it states in its instructions
but it still doesn't work, however your MonsterMadness works like
a charm!. I got a kick out of killing Brute's little kid
brother! LOL :-) Those rockets that the Brute shoots are pretty
hard to dodge especially if you're not looking but not as hard to
dodge as my EvilWarlord's rockets are as they will track your
movement!. I noticed something very strange about the Shrinker
blaster though, in the third person view of the gun the players
all carry it backwards even when they fire it!. The Shrinker
Blaster is VERY funny BTW because seeing an impact hammer moving
across the floor with seemingly no one to hold it is hYsTeRiCaLlY
funny! <:o ) There is another problem I noted about the Shrinker
gun, it will shrink your team mates too if you are playing in a
team deathmatch game!. I haven't tried it with any other team
based gametype except for team deathmatch with bots. Did you make
the mesh for the ammo to the Shrinker? Pretty neat looking
ammotype with the smoke coming out of the side of it!. :-) I
would have called the Shrinker the Voodoo gun or something!. LOL
The StickeyGrenades are also fastenating! Pardon the pun and the
spelling!. ROTFL! Hilarious dude! velcro bullets!. Stick 'em to
the enemy now, watch 'em blow up later! I've found it takes 3 or
4 grenades to kill your opponent if they have full health. Of
course the map of mine that I used it in has a lot of armor2
placed around in it so the bots could have had some armor too. I
scripted a *TriggerableGravityZone* for that same map. It's a
subclass of ZoneInfo. I wanted a way to trigger the gravity in a
zone to change whenever triggered but I couldn't find anything
like that in the original Epic stuff so I made one myself. Epic
has a way to turn a zone's pain on but not off when *untriggered*.
They even have a special class of triggers to do this called a
*ZoneTrigger* but I've never had a use for it. I will probably
have my new map DM-GravityZone done in about 5 or 6 days and will
post it to the binary group. It's great fun to play IMO!. You
know how the bots love the shieldbelt and will do anything to get
at it? The shieldbelt is right in the center of the map BUT (<-
and that's a big but) there is also a trigger to the
TriggerableGravityZone that triggers the gravity to be
anti-gravity making the shieldbelt very hard for the bots to get!.
It's easy for me to just use my translocator to pop in there and
grab the shieldbelt but the bots won't do this even with
TranslocStarts and TranslocDests placed in the map. I guess it
has something to do with the Z axis. The shieldbelt is on the
same Z axis as the translocstarts and dests so the bots think they
don't need to translocate to it to get it. There is also another
secret way to get the shield belt that I won't disclose. I made
all of the textures except for 3 of them with Adobe Photoshop. Can
you believe that?,...I have Adobe Photoshop and I once said that I
would never use it because it is too expensive but believe it or
not I got it from a friend that was selling their computer and I
got it for $25. Of course I don't have the support but I can do
without that for the price!11!. No support is worth $649! and I
don't think Adobe Photoshop is worth that much either, $149 maybe
but not $649!. Adobe Photoshop is a very good program don't get
me wrong but it has a lot of features that I will probably never
use like just about all of the web stuff!. No wonder it costs
$5000 to make a decent website!, with software that costs $649 per
copy!. I will post a note here when it's done and I have posted it
to the binary group.

Thanks MeltDown for your UT mods! I am having a blast with them!
;-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

More about : ping meltdown

June 13, 2004 4:09:28 AM

JHall enlightened us with:
> I just got done downloading and checking out some of the mods you have
> on your site like MonsterMadness, Bouncer, Shrinker, and
> StickeyGrenades for UT!. These are very good!. :-)

Thank you very much!

> I liked your MonsterMadness way better than Eavy's MonsterMadness!
> Your MonsterMadness is a lot more configurable and has the mod menu
> interface that Eavy's just doesn't have.

*grin* My MonsterMadness reached various PC/Gamers magazines ;-)

> Eavy's MonsterMadness says you can add things to the
> UnrealTournament.ini to configure it, and I tried it exactly the way
> it states in its instructions but it still doesn't work, however your
> MonsterMadness works like a charm!.

That's the way it should be, isn't it? :-D

> I noticed something very strange about the Shrinker blaster though, in
> the third person view of the gun the players all carry it backwards
> even when they fire it!.

I know - it's a known bug, but I haven't fixed it yet. The model was a
hidden model that was in UT, but apparently never correctly finished by
Epic.

> There is another problem I noted about the Shrinker gun, it will
> shrink your team mates too if you are playing in a team deathmatch
> game!.

Which can be a good thing. You can crawl through small spaces, and get
somewhere relatively undetected. Use it to your advantage!

> Did you make the mesh for the ammo to the Shrinker? Pretty neat
> looking ammotype with the smoke coming out of the side of it!. :-)

The weapon shoots Skaarj ammo ;-)

> The StickeyGrenades are also fastenating! Pardon the pun and the
> spelling!. ROTFL! Hilarious dude! velcro bullets!.

LOL! That was my first weapon mod. I never got the hang of modeling, but
the grenades came out pretty nice.

> I scripted a *TriggerableGravityZone* for that same map. [...] I will
> probably have my new map DM-GravityZone done in about 5 or 6 days and
> will post it to the binary group.

Ok, let us know when you post it there! I don't frequent the binary
group, so...

> You know how the bots love the shieldbelt and will do anything to get
> at it? The shieldbelt is right in the center of the map BUT (<- and
> that's a big but) there is also a trigger to the
> TriggerableGravityZone that triggers the gravity to be anti-gravity
> making the shieldbelt very hard for the bots to get!.

LOL :-)

> There is also another secret way to get the shield belt that I won't
> disclose.

I'll let you know when (if) I found it ;-)

> I made all of the textures except for 3 of them with Adobe Photoshop.
> Can you believe that?,...I have Adobe Photoshop and I once said that I
> would never use it because it is too expensive but believe it or not I
> got it from a friend that was selling their computer and I got it for
> $25.

Of course, it's not as good for making textures as The Gimp, but
still... :-D

> Adobe Photoshop is a very good program don't get me wrong but it has a
> lot of features that I will probably never use like just about all of
> the web stuff!.

Then take a look at The Gimp... A lot better IMO ;-)

> No wonder it costs $5000 to make a decent website!, with software that
> costs $649 per copy!.

Well, I'm working at a company that makes websites, and I can tell you
that 4000 euro is about the minimum we have to charge. And that is
without the license costs for the software we use!

> Thanks MeltDown for your UT mods! I am having a blast with them! ;-)

Great!!!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 10:54:12 AM

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrnccmvrp.86n.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

[Snip]

> *grin* My MonsterMadness reached various PC/Gamers magazines ;-)

Cool! I didn't know that. It must have been a few years back
though!. :-)

>> Eavy's MonsterMadness says you can add things to the
>> UnrealTournament.ini to configure it, and I tried it exactly
>> the way it states in its instructions but it still doesn't
>> work, however your MonsterMadness works like a charm!.
>
> That's the way it should be, isn't it? :-D

Of course but I always expect things to screw up and when something
works perfectly it's a pleasant surprise.

>> I noticed something very strange about the Shrinker blaster
>> though, in the third person view of the gun the players all
>> carry it backwards even when they fire it!.
>
> I know - it's a known bug, but I haven't fixed it yet. The model
> was a hidden model that was in UT, but apparently never
> correctly finished by Epic.

That's the quad shot from Epic isn't it? or is there another one
that just looks like the quad shot? I know the quad shot wasn't
finished by Epic and the mesh origin wasn't set properly when they
imported and compiled it. It wasn't backwards though was it? I
have a weapon that uses the quad shot mesh called the FireFly that
shoots 9 drunken rockets per shot. It shoots the same rockets
that the eightball shoots only they drunkenly seek their target.
The mesh for the FireFly looks alright but the third person view
is carried a bit high and the bots hands look like they are inside
the weapon.

>> There is another problem I noted about the Shrinker gun, it
>> will shrink your team mates too if you are playing in a team
>> deathmatch game!.
>
> Which can be a good thing. You can crawl through small spaces,
> and get somewhere relatively undetected. Use it to your
> advantage!

That's a good idea but getting one of your team mates to shoot you
with it on que would be a task!. What would happen if you were
shrunken, crawled into some small space and it wore off all of the
sudden? Let me guess....Keeeeerrrraaaakkkeeelll! LOL ;-) I may
try that and see what it does if I can get a bot to shoot me with
it. I might just get stuck in some of the world geometry and not
be able to move.

>> Did you make the mesh for the ammo to the Shrinker? Pretty neat
>> looking ammotype with the smoke coming out of the side of it!. :-)
>
> The weapon shoots Skaarj ammo ;-)

Ah okay that explains the projectiles too.

>> The StickeyGrenades are also fastenating! Pardon the pun and the
>> spelling!. ROTFL! Hilarious dude! velcro bullets!.
>
> LOL! That was my first weapon mod. I never got the hang of
> modeling, but the grenades came out pretty nice.

I never got the hang of modeling either. It's not something that
just anyone *can* get the hang of easily. It takes a lot of
patience, time, interest, creativity, will, etc, etc to be able to
do 3D models. I would like to know what you did to make the
flak cannon model purple for the StickeyGrendes though? Is there
a way to export a model from one of the original packages, change
the texturing, and re-import it into another subclass of something
else?

>> I scripted a *TriggerableGravityZone* for that same map. [...]
>> I will probably have my new map DM-GravityZone done in about 5
>> or 6 days and will post it to the binary group.
>
> Ok, let us know when you post it there! I don't frequent the binary
> group, so...

You can download it right? :o ) Do you still have UT installed and
still play it or did you have to make room for UT2k4? I've only
been working on DM-GravityZone for about 6 days now and I want to
do some other things with some textures and make a skybox.

>> You know how the bots love the shieldbelt and will do anything
>> to get at it? The shieldbelt is right in the center of the map
>> BUT (<- and that's a big but) there is also a trigger to the
>> TriggerableGravityZone that triggers the gravity to be
>> anti-gravity making the shieldbelt very hard for the bots to
>> get!.
>
> LOL :-)

I just tried the map with only 4 bots in it and it definitely
plays better with all 16 of them! It's beginning to look like
this map might be a good one for clan matches that don't mind low
grav situations, as opposed to a single player map. I noticed that
the Queen monster in your MonsterMadness mod gets all confused and
even quits attacking in low grav situations! She essentially
becomes a sitting duck!. :-) Must be the *falling* state that she
goes into that inhibits her attack. I hate getting telefragged by
her though! :-(

>> There is also another secret way to get the shield belt that I
>> won't disclose.
>
> I'll let you know when (if) I found it ;-)

I'll go ahead and give a small hint: there's a teleporter somewhere!

>> I made all of the textures except for 3 of them with Adobe
>> Photoshop. Can you believe that?,...I have Adobe Photoshop and
>> I once said that I would never use it because it is too
>> expensive but believe it or not I got it from a friend that was
>> selling their computer and I got it for $25.
>
> Of course, it's not as good for making textures as The Gimp, but
> still... :-D

Actually Photoshop just as good if not better but it's waaaayyyy
harder to learn and use!. Some of the features are just two
clicks away in the Gimp but for things like a bumpmap or an emboss
with color in Photoshop you have to save the image, click the
texturizer filter, load the previously saved image, and set the
relief and depth! Whew! It's just way easier in the Gimp! I
like Photoshop's layering techniques, the way that layers are
handled, and the features it has as far as blending layers and
such!.

>> Adobe Photoshop is a very good program don't get me wrong but
>> it has a lot of features that I will probably never use like
>> just about all of the web stuff!.
>
> Then take a look at The Gimp... A lot better IMO ;-)

I sort of agree, not really *better* but a *lot* easier!.

>> No wonder it costs $5000 to make a decent website!, with
>> software that costs $649 per copy!.
>
> Well, I'm working at a company that makes websites, and I can
> tell you that 4000 euro is about the minimum we have to charge.
> And that is without the license costs for the software we use!

So I guess that's where the *real* money making is on the internet
is in building websites? I'm pretty good at making graphics...
they are not hireing are they?

[Snip to the end]

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Related resources
June 13, 2004 5:20:25 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> Cool! I didn't know that. It must have been a few years back though!.
> :-)

Yes, it was ;-)

> That's the quad shot from Epic isn't it?

Yep.

> It wasn't backwards though was it?

I might have tried fixing it, but apparently I didn't succeed ;-)

> What would happen if you were shrunken, crawled into some small space
> and it wore off all of the sudden? Let me
> guess....Keeeeerrrraaaakkkeeelll! LOL ;-) I may try that and see
> what it does if I can get a bot to shoot me with it. I might just get
> stuck in some of the world geometry and not be able to move.

I think it's that last one. I saw that happen with my Ducker mutator.

> I would like to know what you did to make the flak cannon model purple
> for the StickeyGrendes though? Is there a way to export a model from
> one of the original packages, change the texturing, and re-import it
> into another subclass of something else?

I just changed the texture, nothing else. I exported the texture, made
it purple with a simple HUE shift, and imported it again into my own
package.

> You can download it right? :o )

Sure. I use Pan or nget for binary downloading.

> Do you still have UT installed and still play it or did you have to
> make room for UT2k4?

I still have UT installed. Now I only have 28 GB free on my harddisk...

> I noticed that the Queen monster in your MonsterMadness mod gets all
> confused and even quits attacking in low grav situations!

I never noticed that! The Queen was quite hard to implement, though. In
the original maps where she appears, the mappers have put some special
navigation points into the map, to mark the places where she can
teleport to. I had to write scripts to do that for me, which had to work
on every map you wanted to play MonsterMadness on. It was quite a task,
I can tell you that!

> I hate getting telefragged by her though! :-(

Then telefrag her back!

> Actually Photoshop just as good if not better but it's waaaayyyy
> harder to learn and use!.

Yep... and not to mention waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive ;-) Oops... I
did mention it by accident :)

> I like Photoshop's layering techniques, the way that layers are
> handled

What's the difference with The Gimp?

> and the features it has as far as blending layers and such!.

What features does it have on that area that The Gimp hasn't?

> So I guess that's where the *real* money making is on the internet is
> in building websites?

The real money is in the porn business...

> I'm pretty good at making graphics... they are not hireing are they?

Nope, not at this moment ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:04:27 PM

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrnccoe6t.ivs.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

[Snip]

>> You can download it right? :o )
>
> Sure. I use Pan or nget for binary downloading.

Not familiar with those. They are only used with Linux right?

>> Do you still have UT installed and still play it or did you
>> have to make room for UT2k4?
>
> I still have UT installed. Now I only have 28 GB free on my
> harddisk...

I have a 40gb Maxtor ATA IDE and I only have 27gb left so far.
I've got a lot of games installed, I have Star Trek DS9 The Fallen,
Star Trek The Next Generation Klingon Honor Guard, and UT. All
of which use the Unreal Engine. I have a few other games installed
that don't use the UEngine like, Star Trek Elite Force and its
expansion pack, Rockey Mountain Tropy Hunter, SimCity3000, Outcast
(not Jedi Outcast just Outcast by Infogrames), SuperBike 2000, and
Shadow Man.

>> I noticed that the Queen monster in your MonsterMadness mod
>> gets all confused and even quits attacking in low grav
>> situations!
>
> I never noticed that! The Queen was quite hard to implement,
> though. In the original maps where she appears, the mappers have
> put some special navigation points into the map, to mark the
> places where she can teleport to. I had to write scripts to do
> that for me, which had to work on every map you wanted to play
> MonsterMadness on. It was quite a task, I can tell you that!

That's right, the Queen does use special nav points, I had forgotten
about that. The Queen was also implemented in a map called DM-
Dominis by Nathilien Thilsa ( He's either Curdish or Croation I
believe).

>> I hate getting telefragged by her though! :-(
>
> Then telefrag her back!

That's kind of unsportsmen like though isn't it? ;-)

>> Actually Photoshop just as good if not better but it's
>> waaaayyyy harder to learn and use!.
>
> Yep... and not to mention waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive ;-)
> Oops... I did mention it by accident :)

There you go again doing things you say you're not going to do!
LOL LOL LOL. You're gonna have to get a server going so I can
kick your ass for it then you kick mine a couple of times
okay!. :-)

>> I like Photoshop's layering techniques, the way that layers are
>> handled
>
> What's the difference with The Gimp?

I like Photoshop's ability to not only emboss each layer
seperately but also bumpmap by overlaying and filtering, way more
filter options than Gimp, apply overlays in more blending options
than Gimp, and the ability to adjust what blending type the
highlights and shadows will use. A very bad thing that I have
noted with Photoshop though is the fact that it tries to make
a web button for a web page out of everything!. If you have a
layer that has color information all the way to the edges of the
layer, and select any of the emboss types, it ends up always
embossing the outer edges. Makes it look like a beveled button
for a web page!. It's great though if the layer only has something
in the center of it that doesn't touch the outer edges.

>> and the features it has as far as blending layers and such!.
>
> What features does it have on that area that The Gimp hasn't?

The main feature that pops in my mind is the fact that it has
thousands more filters that it can use that the Gimp doesn't.
Unless the Gimp can use a .8bf filter then I'm wrong but I don't
believe the Gimp can use a .8bf filter. The Gimp is very good,...
no great, and I may switch back to it for it's ease of use
compared to Photoshop.

>> So I guess that's where the *real* money making is on the
>> internet is in building websites?
>
> The real money is in the porn business...

When do we start? ROTFLMAO! We just gotta find some cute girlies
18 or over that don't mind their picture being taken first!. Isn't
the porn industry really saturated with stuff already to be a
money maker? In other words there's a lot of competition to compete
with out there already!. Most of it is all stupid "Extreme" stuff or
even more stupid "Incest" or even the stupidest of all "Barn Yard"
stuff!. This is all due to the industry being saturated and people
are trying to compete by doing the "Extreme" stuff. I've even seen
websites charging for non-nude stuff and I'll be damned if I'm going
to pay to see non-nude!!!.

>> I'm pretty good at making graphics... they are not hireing are
>> they?
>
> Nope, not at this moment ;-)

Awwww maaaaan! There goes my hopes and dreams of moving to Amsterdam
where all the porn, hoochie, and hash is!. :-(

I meant to reply to this the other day but I got busy and it got by
me somehow!.

> MeltDown -- !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit
> UnrealTower's FAQ section: ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 18, 2004 1:28:07 AM

JHall enlightened us with:
> Not familiar with those. They are only used with Linux right?

Nope.

> I have a 40gb Maxtor ATA IDE and I only have 27gb left so far.
> I've got a lot of games installed, I have Star Trek DS9 The Fallen,
> Star Trek The Next Generation Klingon Honor Guard, and UT. All
> of which use the Unreal Engine. I have a few other games installed
> that don't use the UEngine like, Star Trek Elite Force and its
> expansion pack, Rockey Mountain Tropy Hunter, SimCity3000, Outcast
> (not Jedi Outcast just Outcast by Infogrames), SuperBike 2000, and
> Shadow Man.

I only have UT, UT2004 and FreeCIV installed, besides some small games
that come with Gnome and KDE.

> That's kind of unsportsmen like though isn't it? ;-)

LOL An eye for an eye makes the world go blind, doesn't it ;-)

> You're gonna have to get a server going so I can kick your ass for it
> then you kick mine a couple of times okay!. :-)

Righto! Contact me on Jabber/ICQ/MSN and we'll meet somewhere! My
contact info is on http://www.unrealtower.org/contact

> I like Photoshop's ability to not only emboss each layer seperately
> but also bumpmap by overlaying and filtering, way more filter options
> than Gimp, apply overlays in more blending options than Gimp, and the
> ability to adjust what blending type the highlights and shadows will
> use.

Ok, sounds interesting.

> A very bad thing that I have noted with Photoshop though is the fact
> that it tries to make a web button for a web page out of everything!.

LOL!

> If you have a layer that has color information all the way to the
> edges of the layer, and select any of the emboss types, it ends up
> always embossing the outer edges. Makes it look like a beveled button
> for a web page!. It's great though if the layer only has something in
> the center of it that doesn't touch the outer edges.

You can always enlarge your canvas and center the original image, can't
you?

> In other words there's a lot of competition to compete with out there
> already!.

For sure!

> I've even seen websites charging for non-nude stuff and I'll be damned
> if I'm going to pay to see non-nude!!!.

LOL ROFLOL LOL!!!

> Awwww maaaaan! There goes my hopes and dreams of moving to Amsterdam
> where all the porn, hoochie, and hash is!. :-(

You can still come over here for a few days if you like!

MeltDown
!