How to Install New OS on my Laptop

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 11:09:59 AM

Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I
want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix 6250
with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it
(I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last gave
up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports.
None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a
plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the
pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia needs when I
got it from eBay it came with a EXP Traveler 820 8x Portable CD-ROM Player.

Not really useful for any real applications in todays computer world except
it has two assets to exploit, it has a nice little touch lcd screen (Win95
icky Pen app use), and it's bulletproof. Okay here is the problem at hand,
last I remember I tried updating the capabilities to use a Linksys ethernet
card I had, (Win95 was, is, and will always be a shining example of the lack
of forethought and common sense that Microsoft implements with all it's
software), but it wouldn't load up the drivers. Some how I tried getting a
Linux distro on it, so I could free up all the memory from the bloatware,
but the laptop doesn't support the El Torrito style cdbooting I'm so used
too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
I know the company that made it got the operating system on there. Question
is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?

--
«¯°ºO" It's better to have your head in the clouds, then be grounded on the
ground. You can just reach up and touch the stars. "Oº°¯»

More about : install laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 12:30:59 PM

24 Carrot Balla wrote:

> Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I
> want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix
> 6250 with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory
> in it (I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I
> last gave
> up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports.
> None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a
> plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the
> pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia needs when I
> got it from eBay it came with a EXP Traveler 820 8x Portable CD-ROM
> Player.
>
> Not really useful for any real applications in todays computer world
> except it has two assets to exploit, it has a nice little touch lcd screen
> (Win95
> icky Pen app use), and it's bulletproof. Okay here is the problem at
> hand, last I remember I tried updating the capabilities to use a Linksys
> ethernet card I had, (Win95 was, is, and will always be a shining example
> of the lack of forethought and common sense that Microsoft implements with
> all it's
> software), but it wouldn't load up the drivers. Some how I tried getting
> a Linux distro on it, so I could free up all the memory from the
> bloatware, but the laptop doesn't support the El Torrito style cdbooting
> I'm so used
> too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
> I know the company that made it got the operating system on there.

They probably did it with a standalone drive duplicator that did 20 or 200
or 2000 drives at a time.

> Question is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on
> there?

Put the disk on another machine, install, and pray that there's not
something weird about the BIOS that prevents this from working.

And it sounds like that machine is sufficiently proprietary that you should
stick with the original OS. You may be screwed there though if you lost
the drivers.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

If your laptop's HD is removable, maybe you can temporarily slave it to a
desktop computer and load the OS on it from there.

Good luck.

"24 Carrot Balla" <d.pimpologist@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I
> want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix
> 6250
> with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it
> (I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last
> gave
> up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports.
> None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a
> plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the
> pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia needs when I
> got it from eBay it came with a EXP Traveler 820 8x Portable CD-ROM
> Player.
>
> Not really useful for any real applications in todays computer world
> except
> it has two assets to exploit, it has a nice little touch lcd screen (Win95
> icky Pen app use), and it's bulletproof. Okay here is the problem at
> hand,
> last I remember I tried updating the capabilities to use a Linksys
> ethernet
> card I had, (Win95 was, is, and will always be a shining example of the
> lack
> of forethought and common sense that Microsoft implements with all it's
> software), but it wouldn't load up the drivers. Some how I tried getting
> Linux distro on it, so I could free up all the memory from the bloatware,
> but the laptop doesn't support the El Torrito style cdbooting I'm so used
> too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
> I know the company that made it got the operating system on there.
> Question
> is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?
>
> --
> «¯°ºO" It's better to have your head in the clouds, then be grounded on
> the
> ground. You can just reach up and touch the stars. "Oº°¯»

Related resources
November 11, 2004 1:36:55 AM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:09:59 GMT, "24 Carrot Balla"
<d.pimpologist@verizon.net> wrote:

>Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I
>want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix 6250
>with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it
>(I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last gave
>up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports.
>None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a
>plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the
>pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia needs when I
>got it from eBay it came with a EXP Traveler 820 8x Portable CD-ROM Player.
>
>Not really useful for any real applications in todays computer world except
>it has two assets to exploit, it has a nice little touch lcd screen (Win95
>icky Pen app use), and it's bulletproof. Okay here is the problem at hand,
>last I remember I tried updating the capabilities to use a Linksys ethernet
>card I had, (Win95 was, is, and will always be a shining example of the lack
>of forethought and common sense that Microsoft implements with all it's
>software), but it wouldn't load up the drivers. Some how I tried getting a
>Linux distro on it, so I could free up all the memory from the bloatware,
>but the laptop doesn't support the El Torrito style cdbooting I'm so used
>too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
>I know the company that made it got the operating system on there. Question
>is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?
Use a parallel link(laplink type software) to copy the OS install
files to 6250 HDD, then install from the hdd. There are even some
free dos serial progs that'll do the job if you only have a null modem
lead(xport) http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/dos/utildos.ht...
I think 95osr2 would be about the latest M$ OS you can use though.
November 11, 2004 1:45:11 AM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:09:59 GMT, "24 Carrot Balla"
<d.pimpologist@verizon.net> wrote:

>Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I
>want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix 6250
>with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it
>(I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last gave
>up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports.
>None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a
>plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the
>pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia needs when I
>got it from eBay it came with a EXP Traveler 820 8x Portable CD-ROM Player.
>
>Not really useful for any real applications in todays computer world except
>it has two assets to exploit, it has a nice little touch lcd screen (Win95
>icky Pen app use), and it's bulletproof. Okay here is the problem at hand,
>last I remember I tried updating the capabilities to use a Linksys ethernet
>card I had, (Win95 was, is, and will always be a shining example of the lack
>of forethought and common sense that Microsoft implements with all it's
>software), but it wouldn't load up the drivers. Some how I tried getting a
>Linux distro on it, so I could free up all the memory from the bloatware,
>but the laptop doesn't support the El Torrito style cdbooting I'm so used
>too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
>I know the company that made it got the operating system on there. Question
>is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?
You could also try to write a config.sys and autoexec.bat that'll give
you cd access from dos(you can boot to that, right?) You know, the oak
driver with mscdex.exe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 3:01:55 AM

Joe < alakran@hatusers.easynews.com> wrote:
> >too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
> >I know the company that made it got the operating system on there. Question
> >is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?

Just take the disk out and put it in somewhere else. Partition and
load o/s of your choice, and put it back.

But nothing stops you booting from floppy, surely? Or via the net (bootp,
tftp, etc.). Add the ne2000 pcmcia card of the week.

> You could also try to write a config.sys and autoexec.bat that'll give
> you cd access from dos(you can boot to that, right?) You know, the oak
> driver with mscdex.exe

Sure. And then he can boot any linux kernel via loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdb (assuming his cd is slave on the first ide channel). Or
he can simply copy the cd to disk, and use that as root. He has dozens
of ways to go.

Peter
November 11, 2004 3:01:56 AM

Peter T. Breuer <ptb@lab.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
: Joe < alakran@hatusers.easynews.com> wrote:
: > >too. Now the so corrupted it won't boot it Windows. That is the problem.
: > >I know the company that made it got the operating system on there. Question
: > >is any idea how I'm going to get another operating system on there?

: Just take the disk out and put it in somewhere else. Partition and
: load o/s of your choice, and put it back.

: But nothing stops you booting from floppy, surely?

The fact that the laptop apparently *has* no floppy drive might
prevent booting from floppy...

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----