Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Buy Insurance for Digital Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 21, 2004 11:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Is it worth the 60.00? The sales girl said that if you drop the camera, it
will be replaced. I purchased the Canon SD 300.

Thanks
Mary
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> writes:
> Is it worth the 60.00? The sales girl said that if you drop the camera, it
> will be replaced. I purchased the Canon SD 300.

A few things to keep in mind:

Your camera may not be worth $60 by the time you use it (if ever),
given how the value of electronics declines so quickly.

They wouldn't be selling these if it weren't profitable for them.

The markup is huge on those insurance plans. I think retail on that
plan for a TV I bought was like $120 and then the employee price of
the extended assurance was $15 at Best Buy. I had a family member get
my TV for me there.

It comes down to a gamble, really. It depends on how clumsy you are,
I guess.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:26:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

for the most part no ask to read the policy first

Wayne

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
news:8oednVjjvaidRFXcRVn-sA@centurytel.net...
> Is it worth the 60.00? The sales girl said that if you drop the camera,
> it will be replaced. I purchased the Canon SD 300.
>
> Thanks
> Mary
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:05:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> writes:

> Is it worth the 60.00? The sales girl said that if you drop the camera, it
> will be replaced. I purchased the Canon SD 300.

In August our Canon Powershot S45 slipped from my wife's lap onto
concrete. The display and all photos came out black after that. I was
concerned this might fall under "abuse" and void the warranty, but when
I called they said to send it in, that the techs would determine if it
was abuse or not, and they wouldn't make any repairs without our consent
unless they were free.

Even with noticeable scratches on the corners where it hit the concrete,
they went ahead and repaired it under warranty. Chalk up one positive
experience with Canon.

Since then, I lost our camera! Warranty and insurance don't help with
that. Getting a carrying case that can go on your belt helps, and you
can find those for a lot less than $60.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:24:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bruce Lewis" <brlspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:nm9k6rae8cd.fsf@scrubbing-bubbles.mit.edu...
> Since then, I lost our camera! Warranty and insurance don't help with
> that.

I have added my camera gear to my house policy under 'away from the home'.
If it is lost or stolen it is replaced with a 'current equivelent'.
With my camera I bought a five year warranty that covers any faults that may
develop. I'm pretty well covered.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/V-A-S/
December 23, 2004 12:24:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks everyone.

I went ahead and got the insurance.

Mary

"RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
news:fClyd.2910$1e7.785@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> "Bruce Lewis" <brlspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:nm9k6rae8cd.fsf@scrubbing-bubbles.mit.edu...
>> Since then, I lost our camera! Warranty and insurance don't help with
>> that.
>
> I have added my camera gear to my house policy under 'away from the home'.
> If it is lost or stolen it is replaced with a 'current equivelent'.
> With my camera I bought a five year warranty that covers any faults that
> may develop. I'm pretty well covered.
> --
> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
> www.groups.yahoo.com/group/V-A-S/
>
!