Pretty overwhelmed, need some quick advice.

shawne

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I am upgrading my system, by buying a new mobo, cpu, graphic card, and probably memory. I am keeping my antec 300 case, my psu, and other items.

My question is the motherboard selection. I need help. The article for beginners pretty much overwhelmed me. I am going to use the computer for internet surfing, documents like word, and some gaming like sc2, wc3, wow, and a few other rts, and rpgs. I don't play FPS, so this upgrade is going to be cheap.

So far based off what I found on this site I am going with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102875

SAPPHIRE 100293DP Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card w/ Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103886

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX

I need advice on a good motherboard that will support to the top two items. I am not looking to overclock my system as I don't know how really and that isn't that important to me. I need a motherboard that will fit properly into my Antec 300 case that I already own and fit those 2 above components. Any help is GREAT appreciated.

Oh, I also want to keep the price of the mobo within $50-75 range on newegg, and it has to be an amd board naturally.

Thanks!

What type of RAM are you looking to get?
I can't look at a mobo for you unless i know what speed the RAM is.And do you have a preference as to which manufactor you want for the mobo?(MSI,Asus,Gigabyte,etc.)

Whats your budget for the enitre PC upgrade?

Whats the make/model of the PSU your going to use?

shawne

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Not sure on the ram, I'm open for suggestions, I need 4gbs so 2x 2gb sticks. No real preference on the mobo type long as its a good mobo. Trying to keep it cheap as possible lol.

shawne

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Thanks for the board suggestion, question about the graphic card i picked, it says pcie 2.1 does that matter on the mobo that says 2.0 instead of 2.1? Sorry, I've only built one comp so far.

To my knowledge 2.1 cards were made about a year or 2 ago but none of the board manufactuers have ever incorperated 2.1 pci-express x16 slots,they are all 2.0.I think the reasoning behind that is because even at 2.0 the cards can't even transmit data that fast so I guess the mobo manufatures don't see a point in making 2.1 slots if it's not even going to be used fully.
But to answer your question no it won't matter at all.Their is no impact on performance.
The only problems that exist with that is 1.0 cards in 2.0 slots.Those have been known to cause some issues but you don't ahve to worry about that.

That Biostar mobo natively supports 1333mhzDDR3 so you can get 2x2G 1333mhz RAM.Whats your budget on the RAM?

So I found some RAM but I was curious because I know that I would want them but it is your build.Do you want some LED RAM sticks?Their really bright and they flash everytime their in a power state.It doesn't seem like they cost any extra.They come in Red,Green,Blue,Orange and a few others I think.Have a look...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=600006050%20600006066%20600006126&IsNodeId=1&Description=crucial%20ballistix&name=DDR3%201333%20%28PC3%2010600%29&Order=BESTMATCH

Those are all the different types/colors they have and all of them are compatible with that mobo.