Your question

Good Cheap CPU For Graphics

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2010 8:37:17 PM

What would a good but cheap CPU be for Graphic Design such as Ps 3ds max and Sony Vegas. I hear Intel usually delivers better CPUS for heavy things like 3ds Max so i was thinking the i5 750 or 760 ? Thoughts?

More about : good cheap cpu graphics

a b à CPUs
September 18, 2010 9:23:52 PM

Go for an i7 of you can but if the i5 is all you can afford it should do the job quite well. If your software supports CUDA and you have a decent NVIDIA then you can make good gains in performance there.
m
l
September 18, 2010 9:28:11 PM

just a thought , but I got an AMD x3 440 last week , overclocked it to 3.5 ghz and according to P.C wizards cpu test , it beats the i5 750 .....for a third of the price I think this is pretty good ..
if I were you though I would probably go for an AMD 6 core cpu , for around the same price as the i5 it will surpass it in almost everything
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2010 9:45:14 PM

Well i had posted somewhere else about this and most people said Intel would give me better results for what im doing, also i was originally thinking about the 1055T but would it work good with graphic design for like vegas because i hear intels work better.
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
September 18, 2010 9:52:27 PM

pete3867 said:
...if I were you though I would probably go for an AMD 6 core cpu , for around the same price as the i5 it will surpass it in almost everything

I call BS. They trade in a few areas, but the i5 wins more, and wins bigger. It also overclocks extremely well.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=109
m
l
a c 217 à CPUs
September 18, 2010 9:59:23 PM

Sneakyy said:
Well i had posted somewhere else about this and most people said Intel would give me better results for what im doing, also i was originally thinking about the 1055T but would it work good with graphic design for like vegas because i hear intels work better.

PS is more dependent upon clock speed and IPC with SSE4 --- win for Intel

Vegas and 3DSM can fully utilize the six cores of the 1055T -- win for AMD.

Most important to your performance: Disk I/O to keep up with either processor. That's where the SSD for your OS/Apss and fast arrays for capture and output come into play.
m
l
September 18, 2010 10:17:31 PM

Wisecracker said:
PS is more dependent upon clock speed and IPC with SSE4 --- win for Intel

Vegas and 3DSM can fully utilize the six cores of the 1055T -- win for AMD.

Most important to your performance: Disk I/O to keep up with either processor. That's where the SSD for your OS/Apss and fast arrays for capture and output come into play.

Well if you put it that way it seems like i should get the 1055T because PS runs at a decent speed with my current 1Core 2.1Ghz so i can deal with what ever the difference between the two for PS are
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
September 18, 2010 10:28:34 PM

Wisecracker said:
...3DSM can fully utilize the six cores of the 1055T -- win for AMD...

Please don't spew FUD. If you'll look at the benchmark page I linked, you'll see that in most of the 3ds Max tests, the Intel processor wins. The margins are not great; I am sure either processor would perform well. But the i5/750 would be the faster of the two. An i5/760 would be just that much faster.

m
l
September 18, 2010 10:32:47 PM

Hmm well im going to look for parts for an Intel build to compare since i already have a aMD one but would the 760 ( 2.8GHz) be better then 750 (2.66GHZ) by a noticeable difference
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
September 18, 2010 10:39:40 PM

Well, either can be overclocked to similar levels, but at stock the difference would be pretty small. I'm sure you could measure it, but I'm not sure you'd really notice unless you were trying to.
m
l
a c 460 à CPUs
September 19, 2010 1:30:39 AM

Check the vendor sites that sell to the trade and I think you'll see a preponderance of Intel / nVidia systems.

Good and Cheap are most often hard to put in the same sentence.....though there's bargains to be found, for the most part, you get what you pay for.
m
l