Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I tried many things to get my new WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB to show up.

It doesn't show up in the BIOS, and sometimes the port it's connected to shows no model name but just a file size that says (0.0 GB)

Sometimes it shows up in device manager as simply ATA Device, sometimes it doesn't.

I tried to initialize the disk at disk management and brings up "Unable to initialize disk because of an I/O device error.

I ran the App from WD and it just gives me a bunch of 0 GB's, Pass.

I changed the power cord, nothing, the SATA cables, nothing, different SATA ports, nothing.

It's possible that you motherboard or sata controller is going bad, but if other drives are working fine and you can't even get the WD utilitly to run against the drive properly, then I'd chalk it up to being DOA.

I'm assuming the correct sata controllers are enabled in the bios.

Ghoulz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The grey ones on my Asus p8z77-V Pro are listed so I assume, which is what it's plugged into. I even tried a SATA 3 cord and hooked it to one of the SATA 3 ports to no avail. I'm pretty sure my SATA ports are fine.

That leaves the biggest issue. I have no printer, lol. So what the heck do I do about an RMA number? I never RMA'd anything in my life so I have no idea.

Most motherboards these days have two sata controllers each corresponding to the different colored sata ports on the board, so be sure both are enabled in the bios.

If you bought it from newegg, they have an excellent return policy. Anyhow, try the company you bought it from first. A lot of them have online RMA forms which makes it easy. If they can't help you, WD has an online RMA form.

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en