Upgrade from Intel G33/31 Express Chipset - 250$ Budget

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the month

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: High-end gaming (i.e. Anarchy, AoC, Crysis)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP p6210t, P:E5300 CPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Anywhere

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia cards preferred

OVERCLOCKING: Possibly

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is the card I'm currently using PCI-E? CPUz wasn't able to tell me much about it other than its name.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade intel express chipset budget
  1. For your CPU the most I'd use is an HD5770. Unless you can get an overclock to 3.6ghz, then an HD5850 is appropriate. I wouldn't bother with the GTX465.
  2. shadow187 said:
    For your CPU the most I'd use is an HD5770. Unless you can get an overclock to 3.6ghz, then an HD5850 is appropriate. I wouldn't bother with the GTX465.

Would my processor support the GTX465 without having to OC and screw with BIOS? Because I don't really think that's possible on a heap like this. Also, I've never owned a GPU in the Radeon series, either.

Also, I was looking at the HD5830..I'm thinking some OC would help that run a bit smoother, but what speed would be necessary? The HD5770 looks more like an attempt to buy me into 2 GPU's with Crossfire when I don't have the money for that.
  3. You will notice a 0 performance increase from a GTX465. Maybe a little. But you're going to be spending $100 more for a card that offers 1% performance increase, sucks 2x as much power (literally), runs much more hot, and is, in general, not a very good card. An HD5770 for $150 will run very cool, and play every game decently at your resolution.

Also, depending on your budget, you could grab an E8400 and an HD5850. But that's $450, so it's up to you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Chipsets Intel Graphics