SSD not recognised in BIOS

est1888

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
I have recently bought a second SSD(Samsung SSD830) for my Asus G73, the BIOS is set for AHCI, the primary Kingston SSD is recognised, the old HDD is recognised in the second HDD bay, the new samsung shows when connected to a USB SATA cable but it isn't recognised by the BIOS when it is installed in bay 2. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Solution
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Your laptop has connection for an optional second SATA HDD. However the manual does not show the connection, only the outer case.
It also does not show any images of the BIOS.

I would guess, you have to enable the second SATA controller in the BIOS.

On booting up, when you get to the splash screen, click Del, or the hot key to take you to the bios.
It's probably under BIOS setup or SATA configuration. If present, enable it and it should be functional.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Your laptop has connection for an optional second SATA HDD. However the manual does not show the connection, only the outer case.
It also does not show any images of the BIOS.

I would guess, you have to enable the second SATA controller in the BIOS.

On booting up, when you get to the splash screen, click Del, or the hot key to take you to the bios.
It's probably under BIOS setup or SATA configuration. If present, enable it and it should be functional.

Solution

fizzgig

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I too recently bought the Samsung 830 (256mb) and cant get Bios to recognize it IF I have another HDD also connected.

If I unplug my other drive and leave ONLY the SSD in, its fine but as soon as I have them both hooked up, the SSD disappears.

Now heres where it gets weird. When I first load into BIOS, its not there. If I go to the list of drives to boot from, its not there. BUT if I go to the Boot Override, it shows there and can be selected.

All I want it to be able to have my regular HDD boot when I turn on the computer but when I want to play games (on the SSD) I want to be able to hit F8 or something at the BIOS splash and choose the SSD. I had it running this way with a different SSD but upgraded due to needing more space.

I know this doesnt help the original poster, (SORRY).

est1888

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Managed to get it all sorted. Weird though, Samsung telephone support tell me to go one way, looking at other threads in other forums suggest for me to go another.

Eventually, something in hind sight maybe I should have done in the first place sorted the problem. Although I had proved bay 2 was working with the storage HDD, I had not tried putting the primary drive in that bay. In doing so, bay 2 now is the primary boot and Samsung SSD magician recognised the 830 straight away. Wether in doing so enabled another SATA controller as John_VanKirk suggested, or the thump I gave it after getting rather annoyed with the whole matter helped, I will never know.

What I do know is that eventually I have the drive configoration that I wanted up and running. 128 & 256 Gb SSDs as the windows and gaming drives, and a 1tb 2.5" HDD in an optical drive bay HDD tray.

Thank you very much for looking at this thread and giving me ideas on how to attack the problem.