Sign in with
Your question

Help with a $800 gaming/multi purpose pc

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2010 8:54:28 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (by the end of july)

BUDGET RANGE: ( 600-900) Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (, gaming, watching movies, messing around with linux)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ( newegg.com, ncix.com --)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (USA)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (Biggest bang for the buck)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (, 1920x1080, )

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Trying to build a mid-range pc so I can game and mess around with Linux/Learn some things.Its basically going to be a learning project. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
July 19, 2010 10:03:36 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz - AMD's fastest quad core processor. Will give you enough power for any game out there at the moment and for pretty much anything you want to do in Linux.
ASRock AM3 Motherboard - My belief is that unless you have $1000s to spend on your computer there really isn't much point buying an expensive one when you can get a cheaper one which will do the job well.
GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM Kit - This RAM is fast and 4GB is plenty for the moment.
XFX HD 5850 1GB - This graphics card is one of ATI's fastest cards and provides enough power for most games at max settings at your resolution and any video you might be doing in Linux.
Seagate Barracuda 500GB - One of the most reliable hard drive manufacturers and plenty of space for most people. Fast too.
LG 22x DVD Burner - No point spending more on a DVD drive when this one burns every type of DVD at a fast speed.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - provides enough power for your system and is also modular to tidy things up.
Rosewill Black ATX Case - Another one of the parts which I feel doesn't need to be expensive unless you have the money to spare. It looks alright and the cooling will be adequate unless you plan on doing heavy overclocking.

Total: $797.92

So, that's my recommendations over. That would be a very fast computer and would easily be able to play any game at high/max settings (Crysis excluded possibly) as well as being great for doing whatever you plan with Linux.
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:43:43 AM

Get the phenom 955, it's a better bang for buck. Get nvidia>ati for linux since the drivers are better on nvidia
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 2:55:01 AM

ppl always suggest the 955, but I think I bought the stock overclocked 965 for like $10 more...are you guys really that bad off?

I have heard that gaming on linux is a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and get the 5850 as previously mentioned as well.

Do you have an old Hard drive to use? I saved about $70 on my build by just using my old 400gb that came out right when sata did.

also please please please don't buy an aftermarket heatsink fan. I find it hilarious that every build in the recommended build section recommends that you buy one. AMD 4 core stock HSF's are GREAT. I really wish I didnt get my massive aftermarket coolermaster HSF. On the money you save there...maybe you can afford a nice case like mine....The coolermaster sniper. Its so sick.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2010 4:50:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like a solid build for me.
m
l
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 4:51:04 PM

You're welcome. Any more questions, just ask.
m
l
!