Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent static

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2010 12:13:13 AM

Hello, I have an ASUS gaming laptop G51VX that's a little over a year old. For about four or five months now I've had this intermittent static problem. It's not the headphones (they're Logitech) since I've tried this with two sets of different brands and I get the same static with both.

It seems to happen when I have the laptop on all weekend. The sound deteriorates into a static garble making anyone talking (or anything playing in game) sound staticy, metallicy and hollow. Sometimes it's so bad and so loud I can't hear a word anyone says then it'll suddenly stop. It'll also make a pulsing static noise that will stop and start every few minutes. I've tried updating the driver with no effect.

Does this happen to anyone? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

More about : intermittent static

September 19, 2010 2:32:35 AM

Do the speakers on the laptop experience the same problem as the headphones? There might be a source of EMI near by that is causing issue, be it near where you us the system or inside the system itself.
m
l
September 22, 2010 2:55:10 AM

hunter315 said:
Do the speakers on the laptop experience the same problem as the headphones? There might be a source of EMI near by that is causing issue, be it near where you us the system or inside the system itself.

That's a good question, I wish I knew. Whenever I unplug my headphones the sound dies. I have to restart my computer in order to hear through my speakers and that seems to fix the static problem. I'm going to say no because I was on my laptop with no issues for an entire week with no headphones.

m
l
!