Out of 4gb ram i can only use 3.25 gb

Hello,i have dual core e5400 processor,and recently i instlled a new 2gb ddr3 1333 ram with the previously instlled 2gb ddr3 1333.but my pc says out of those 4 gb ram 3.25 gb is usable.why is that?whats the problem?what i need to do to use the full 4gb ram?
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. You can only use 3.25 as the remainder is used by the operating system to function,
    its normal, dont worry, and if your on a 32bit O/s it will only use 4Gb anyhow, for more ram you'll need a 64bit O/s
    Moto
  2. Motopsychojdn said:
    You can only use 3.25 as the remainder is used by the operating system to function,
    its normal, dont worry, and if your on a 32bit O/s it will only use 4Gb anyhow, for more ram you'll need a 64bit O/s
    Moto

nope u didnt understand,i know os needs some ram,but here in spite of having 4 gb ram my pc only can access 3.25 look at the attached picture
  3. You need a 64 bit OS to be able to access 4 GB of memory. It is not a matter of the OS needing RAM. Because of something called "memory mapped i/o", the OS needs a pretty large chunk of the address space (not the same thing). If you have 2 GB of RAM, you never notice. With 4 GB, you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_mapped_I/O
  4. jsc said:
    You need a 64 bit OS to be able to access 4 GB of memory. It is not a matter of the OS needing RAM. Because of something called "memory mapped i/o", the OS needs a pretty large chunk of the address space (not the same thing). If you have 2 GB of RAM, you never notice. With 4 GB, you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_mapped_I/O

thanks.can i convert from 32 to 64 bit with any software for example?
  5. matewinslet said:
    thanks.can i convert from 32 to 64 bit with any software for example?

If you have a full retail copy of the Windows 7 disk it should have both 32 and 64 bit versions, but you will have to re-install Windows. If you only have the OEM disk you will have to purchase the 64bit disk.

---Max
  6. I am having this same issue and I did a little reading up on this before I decided to post.

First I am running Win 7 64bit just to address that right off the hop. I have 2 2gig sticks and a 6570 ati hd card and a WiFi card. I think the ram is being used for the on board video chipset as my system resource monitor is saying that I have 770 mb of Ram locked off for hardware. So still could be on board video am not overly experienced with hardware. More of a software person, anyway I do know my way around the BIOS to some degree so if someone could give me a heads up on what I should be looking for so that I can get this ram back I would be extremely happy.

Having that 770mb of ram back for my 3d applications rendering would make my life a slight bit easier.
Ask a new question

Read More

Elitegroup DDR3 RAM Dual Core Motherboards