Sign in with
Your question

MicroATX Sub-$1000 Video Editing Build

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2010 9:13:31 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: ~$1000, closer to $800-$900.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 3D Rendering, Video Editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't know much about Xeon's and workstation graphics cards, and if this build will benefit from these, but I was planning on buying an i7-930 at MC for $200 to start with.. If you have different advice, please speak your mind! He wants snappy boots and responsiveness, so I was planning on an SSD, but the decision isn't concrete.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (Not) - This build is for a friend, I'll discuss it with him.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

He is planning on taking it places... a sturdy case is preferred.

He requested 12GB of memory, although I'm not so sure this is necessary. Again, I don't know much about rendering and editing. I'm sure RAM is more precious than it is for a normal user or gamer, so tell me whether you think 6GB is sufficient.

CUDA?

Xeon or i7?

THANKS in advance to anyone that contributes, it's much appreciated.
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 6:40:10 PM

Right, I don't have much knowledge about workstations but I've done what I can because no one else has replied and the longer the thread gets left, the closer down the page the thread gets pushed and the less likely people are going to be to see it. What I have effectively done is to assemble the best gaming computer for your money using the i7-930 as a basis for the rest of the system. I could be more help if your friend could tell you any requirements that he has for his rendering and editing, such as graphics card features and the likes.
Also, whilst $1k is obviously a lot of money, it's not that much when you're looking at a socket 1366 workstation computer.

CPU: Core i7 930 - $200 at MC - seeing as these are at such a great deal at Microcenter at the moment I think it'll probably be a good place to start. I don't know much about the difference between Xeons and i7s but Xeons are tons more expensive (one that has the equivalent power to the i7-930 would blow your entire budget and some) so I figured this would probably be okay. I found a forum somewhere which said that Xeons are more expensive because they have ECC RAM (you could ask your friend what this is, he might understand...)

RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 6GB 1600MHz 3x2GB Kit - $139.99 - reasonably fast, triple channel memory kit. I think 6GB should be enough. It can be upgraded easily enough in the future to 12GB simply by buying another one of these kits and sticking the modules in the remaining slots on the motherboard.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 motherboard - $199.99 this supports your entire system as well as SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 for the future. It also supports the addition of a second graphics card at full bandwidth (x16) although I know you put SLI as a big no no ;) 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - $229.99 - again, not a workstation card but they are also supposed to be very expensive compared to gaming cards and are often based on them like Xeons are based on i7s. As a gaming card and general graphics card, this is very good, so it should be able to fare well in rendering etc.

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $55.99 - reliable hard drive, mine's been going a year with no problems. Won't give you amazing boot times but you'd be very hard pushed to fit an SSD into this budget along with your CPU and still have some room left over for a graphics card.

DVD Drive: Lite-On 24x DVD Burner - $17.99 - cheap and burns all types of DVD at high speed.

Power Supply - Thermaltake 600W - $64.99 - it's from a reliable company and it has enough power for your system.

Case: Rosewill Black Case - $29.99 - yes, it's a cheap case but I'm not sure that a more expensive one would make it easier to travel with.

All in all, what you have there is a great computer for most things, although I'm not sure of the specific requirements for rendering and video editing. Ideally you would want to have more money to spend in order to factor in things such as an SSD, a nice case and workstation components but if ya don't have the money, ya don't have it :) 

I hope I have been of least some help and I'm sorry that I couldn't really have been more help.

EDIT: forgot to mention, it comes to $938 which is on the higher end of what you want to spend but anything less and you would've been silly to really buy it. I also forgot to mention that, whilst the i7-930 is a great deal at the moment for $200, I would recommend that you go with something from AMD as it will give you more money to spend on other components and you can get a cheaper motherboard and RAM (which will be dual channel so I would suggest getting 8GB)
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:08:07 PM

Anonymous said:
Right, I don't have much knowledge about workstations but I've done what I can because no one else has replied and the longer the thread gets left, the closer down the page the thread gets pushed and the less likely people are going to be to see it. What I have effectively done is to assemble the best gaming computer for your money using the i7-930 as a basis for the rest of the system. I could be more help if your friend could tell you any requirements that he has for his rendering and editing, such as graphics card features and the likes.
Also, whilst $1k is obviously a lot of money, it's not that much when you're looking at a socket 1366 workstation computer.

CPU: Core i7 930 - $200 at MC - seeing as these are at such a great deal at Microcenter at the moment I think it'll probably be a good place to start. I don't know much about the difference between Xeons and i7s but Xeons are tons more expensive (one that has the equivalent power to the i7-930 would blow your entire budget and some) so I figured this would probably be okay. I found a forum somewhere which said that Xeons are more expensive because they have ECC RAM (you could ask your friend what this is, he might understand...)

RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 6GB 1600MHz 3x2GB Kit - $139.99 - reasonably fast, triple channel memory kit. I think 6GB should be enough. It can be upgraded easily enough in the future to 12GB simply by buying another one of these kits and sticking the modules in the remaining slots on the motherboard.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 motherboard - $199.99 this supports your entire system as well as SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 for the future. It also supports the addition of a second graphics card at full bandwidth (x16) although I know you put SLI as a big no no ;) 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - $229.99 - again, not a workstation card but they are also supposed to be very expensive compared to gaming cards and are often based on them like Xeons are based on i7s. As a gaming card and general graphics card, this is very good, so it should be able to fare well in rendering etc.

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $55.99 - reliable hard drive, mine's been going a year with no problems. Won't give you amazing boot times but you'd be very hard pushed to fit an SSD into this budget along with your CPU and still have some room left over for a graphics card.

DVD Drive: Lite-On 24x DVD Burner - $17.99 - cheap and burns all types of DVD at high speed.

Power Supply - Thermaltake 600W - $64.99 - it's from a reliable company and it has enough power for your system.

Case: Rosewill Black Case - $29.99 - yes, it's a cheap case but I'm not sure that a more expensive one would make it easier to travel with.

All in all, what you have there is a great computer for most things, although I'm not sure of the specific requirements for rendering and video editing. Ideally you would want to have more money to spend in order to factor in things such as an SSD, a nice case and workstation components but if ya don't have the money, ya don't have it :) 

I hope I have been of least some help and I'm sorry that I couldn't really have been more help.

EDIT: forgot to mention, it comes to $938 which is on the higher end of what you want to spend but anything less and you would've been silly to really buy it. I also forgot to mention that, whilst the i7-930 is a great deal at the moment for $200, I would recommend that you go with something from AMD as it will give you more money to spend on other components and you can get a cheaper motherboard and RAM (which will be dual channel so I would suggest getting 8GB)

Awesome, thanks for your time dangerman.

It looks good to me, yeah I'm not positive what exactly he's using it for, but he mentioned 3D rendering and CAD.
It's nice to know ATX PSU"s fit in lots of MircoATX cases. I'll provide him with an i7 930 build and an AMD build, and let him decide what he'd prefer. The savings on the mobo would be nice too.
I have also been reading reviews and such and stumbled across the V4800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) It's a Redwood chip, so I was a little worried it might not be enough, but reviews praise it for being very good bang for the buck and even performing close to the more expensive ($700) workstation cards.

I saw a few benchmarks with a 5970 vs a workstation card... obviously the 5970 dominated in 3DMarkVantage and such, but for productivity, the 5970 was almost obsolete in comparison. So while I'm sure a regular card would handle itself just fine, I think I will go with a workstation card.

Anyways, thanks again. If anyone else has any say, that would be great, but I think it'll be just fine.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 8:11:42 PM

You're welcome and like I said before I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but I just don't know anything about workstations to be honest. I only posted because I thought I might as well contribute what I can seeing as no one else had :D 

Good luck with your build anyway; hope everything goes well for you and your friend :) 
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:16:56 PM

Anonymous said:
You're welcome and like I said before I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but I just don't know anything about workstations to be honest. I only posted because I thought I might as well contribute what I can seeing as no one else had :D 

Good luck with your build anyway; hope everything goes well for you and your friend :) 

Anything is better than nothing, thanks. If all goes well, I might consider piecing one together myself for bringing to friends'. :hello: 
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:53:51 AM

$703AR

I would see how it goes on integrated HD 4250 video and if i really have to fork out for a discrete could be a professional class GPU would be the best solution ^^
m
l
Anonymous
July 21, 2010 12:30:03 PM

You would attempt to do 3D rendering and video editing with integrated graphics?
m
l
July 21, 2010 12:40:42 PM

Yes if the particular software does not take advantage of GPU acceleration and IGP has come a long way from previous years hehe
m
l
Anonymous
July 21, 2010 12:44:42 PM

I know it has, but I thought for video editing and so on you would need at least a mid priced dedicated card. Like I've mentioned before, I don't really know much about workstations and the likes and I'm sure you know more than me.
m
l
July 21, 2010 9:04:03 PM

I wish I knew exactly how much it would make a difference... I will have to ask him exactly WHAT programs he plans on using. I really don't know whether a graphics card would benefit him that much, but I would assume so with 3D applications.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the i7 and PII X6's now... Yes, I can get a steal for the i7, but I could go with a 1090T even and save the difference on a motherboard. I would say a 1055T, but I'm not sure he'll allow me to OC it.

Batuchka, did you chose that CPU cooler because it's low profile, and can you vouch for it?
m
l
July 22, 2010 9:08:12 AM

As long as you build a workable 'nest' that can house a discrete if needed (which again i would say if needed a pro class one is for best gains) it's all good. Ya the GeminiIIS have been slotted into cube/shoebox mATX casings like Thrmaltake LANBOX lite so a mATX mid tower is plenty of room hehe
m
l
!