Sign in with
Your question

SSD Upgrade for Gaming Laptop?

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2012 4:26:20 PM

Hello there!
I've been using my msi gx640 for about 2 years now and was thinking of upgrading the RAM and HD. I'm running on stock config atm (4GB ram - 2x2 ddr3 with a 500gb HD).

I haven't delved deep into my laptop though, and wanted to know if it was possible to put in an SSD (say 30gb) alongwith my stock HD? Or can I have one at a time? :( 

Suggestions please? :) 
September 24, 2012 6:00:01 PM

Doesn't look like there's two spots for hard drives on that laptop. You could always just open it up and check it out anyways.

Looks like you have an eSATA port though, so you could always put the SSD in the laptop, get an eSATA hard drive dock, and put the 500Gb drive in the dock for storage (connected by eSATA). That's kind of messy though.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 24, 2012 6:11:28 PM

are you using more than half of the space on your HDD?
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 8:55:43 PM

Niavlys77 said:
Doesn't look like there's two spots for hard drives on that laptop. You could always just open it up and check it out anyways.

Looks like you have an eSATA port though, so you could always put the SSD in the laptop, get an eSATA hard drive dock, and put the 500Gb drive in the dock for storage (connected by eSATA). That's kind of messy though.

Yeah, I do have an eSATA port, I thought of replacing the current HD with an SSD, and using the eSATA to power an external HD, but that seems like a very messy solution! :S
I heard we can replace the cd drive with an extra slot for an HD - if the mobo supports it obv. Its a last option really, but whats the deal with that? :o 

Any other way? :??: 
m
l
September 24, 2012 8:59:32 PM

dingo07 said:
are you using more than half of the space on your HDD?

Yep it is!
m
l
!