Workstation Graphics/Xeon?

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hey everyone, I have a friend that wants a build for 3D Rendering and some video editing... and I know a great deal about mainstream/gaming builds, but no clue when it comes to workstation components...

Is there a big difference in video cards? Would he benefit from buying a workstation specific card, or would a gaming card do the job?
If I were making a Sub-$1k gaming rig, I'd most likely recommend the new 460 at this point, but I have no idea how this compares.

Also, are Xeon chips worth it for these applications at their price point? I can get a $199 i7-930 at MC, for reference.

A xeon by itself doesn't match up but on a duallie rig it will shred rendering and video work since most of those programs are multi threaded and that is what SMP rigs shine at but if it is not a business application than I am sure a 930 will do the trick. As far as cards go nvidia quadro FX cards are choice for workstations especially Open GL stuff. BUT I guess a 460 will do in a pinch.
Google SMP and duallies and check out 2cpu.com
As we know from FPS games there is nothing like Big Twin Guns to get the job done.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Thanks for the reply

I did some more reading and was looking at the $150 to $200 price point... I found the V4800. Is this a good card in your opinion, or do you prefer the nvidia lineup in this situation? It was getting lots of praise, and it's a Redwood chip... You'd think a 5770 (Juniper) would do the job better, but with the workstation cards there's a huge price jump between chips. I just don't understand the differences really, and why they perform so much better in certain apps. Drivers help?

I am sorry I was being a wise-ss regarding the 930 and 460. They would do an awesome job especially cooled properly and OC'd stable.
Seriously unless it is a business application with financial dependence on data than doing a new duallie rig is cost prohibitive. I am not up on newer cards and cpu's. I do use GPU review http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php which is handy. Really a good I7 with a strong ati 5000 series or a 200 series nvidia would shred in light to medium duty application.
If you want to go balls out check out 2cpu.com for new duallie rigs.

There are a few cases to use a Xeon:
1. If you want an insane amount of RAM (think >24GB) as most "gamer" boards max out at 16-24GB. Usually Server boards using Xeons have more RAM slots for use.

2. If you want a 2P/4P system, you have to use a Xeon.

3. If you need ECC RAM capability. Only a few gamer boards support ECC RAM correctly.

@OP: What's the total budget?
Depending on budget, you can easily build a 2P set up. ~$1700 and up. If doing massive rendering work that's multi threaded (ie Maya) a 2P certainly helps.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks guys. =]

Yeah, I forgot to mention that this is about a $1000 build, so I think I'll stick with the i7.
I have no idea what programs are more demanding.. he just mentioned CAD and 3D rendering.
Ultimately, he wants a portable MicroATX build for him to take places.. which changes things, but I'll discuss it with him.

Given the limited information, would you recommend buying the V4800 or something like a GTX 460 or HD 5770?

giiven he wants it portable than look at which GPU is quieter and power efficient so you can run a lean PSU.
Other than that performance wise it is more of a price factor between the both of them they both will work well.
I wonder if a physics card would help???