Has my power supply blown- VERY LONG THREAD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroofspirits

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
hello all, been awhile since i list posted here,

here is my problem (updated computer specs in sig)

i recently upgreaded my computer to a new case, coolermaster hafx 942 full tower. looks great, i have added lots of blue LED Fans!!! (oh and inb4 too many fans, there are less fans than what was in my old build)

was orriginally in this "special" case: Spedo Advance pakage.

only thing that was changed between builds, was thermal paste on H50 Heatsink. (lie, i left it all intact between builds, but changed upon following problems, to see if it fixed problem.) Oh and graphic card PCI location (standard card was below the vapour x, have changed their location.) (exceptions to this include, HDD SATA cable conections to MOBO and Some Fan power conections to motherboard)

since finishing the build on wednesday last week, i have noticed many problems.

1) computer would get stuck in an endless loop when starting it up (powers on for 3 secs, powers down for 5secs, powers back on 3 secs, ect...) (no image on screen) (appears to be random as i have been able to get into windows, and stay on for quite some time.)

2) when computer diddnt get cought in loop, may either staart up like nothing has happened, or would give a beep code - continueless (spelling :kaola: )short beeps (which accorading to my mobo book, meens power error.

3) would not, at any stage, allow an overclock, of any, repeat ANY mhz (Bclk @133 <-standard = pass post// Bclk @134 = endless loop.)

I somehow fixed Step 3 to a cirtain degree by playing with the CPU block and memory(noted above)

Run Stable in prime 95 at 4.00Ghz at a Vcore of just under 1.4v (Cpuz reports only around 1.2 - 1.3 used at max) (CPU runs at apx 78-80o celcious.

4) last error - computer randomly restarts, no blue screen or anything, just off and on (usually endless loop) - this power down happens in bios too. <- has to power supply right?

look i know this a long thread, but boo... its important that i ask for some help, as i dont want to go buying a new power supply if it aint broke (im australian :lol: )
thank you

(ps + one billion internets to who ever fixes this problem)

If your power supply was blown, it wouldn't even be booting up, to my knowledge.

A couple things to try and let me know:

-Check you plugged in not only the motherboard PSU plug but also the CPU one.

Especially since your motherboard states a "power error" this makes a lot of sense to me. Double check your power connections.

heroofspirits

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
update: going to remove gfx cards one at a time EG -------1 = in 0 = out // 1.1 <-current 1.0 - 0.1 - 0.0
this could take some time

--this did not work, even with no cards, still constant reboot

heroofspirits

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
hmm cleared cmos, booted up, and got to bios. leave at stock settings, reboot 3 times, all pass and get to bios again... what i want to see, but again, go to place an overclock, (bclk +1 so 134,) same problem

heroofspirits

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
thread will be closed, found the problem, appears that bios was courupt. updated to new bios version. still getting on off problem, but would only happen with a bclk higher than 168 multiplyer of 20x. have changed multiplyer to 19, and this seems to have fixed the problem as i can boot computer at 4.10ghz @ bclk of "X" and multiplyer of 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.