ASUS SSD Caching vs intel smart response technology

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi

I am big fan of SSD Cashing

What is the Best SSD Cashing method to use? ASUS SSD Caching Or intel smart response technology(ISRT) ?

the ASUS SSD Caching is Easy to perform SSD Caching but is use Marvell 9128 chipset i think its slower then Intel z77 chipset ..

in intel smart response technology its much difficult I must make both SSD and HDD in Raid mode in Bios then install Intel Rapid Storage Technology

ASUS SSD Caching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCGo0LWaTY&feature=related

Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology on Intel Desktop Boards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYPk2j5PNM

I cannot with authority answer your question as to which is better.

But, in general, SSD cacheing works well only in some very specific situations.
That is one where the files you access most will fit in the ssd cache.
But if there is only one set that you use most, it will be much better to put that data on a natively accessed ssd.

If the set you use will change over time with the characteristic that it is used intensively and exclusively for a while, then changes to another set, a ssd cache will work well.

Another issue is how much of the data gets updated. Intel sells a small 313 series MLC(good for updating) ssd which is engineered for a cache.
But it is expensive with a 20gb ssd costing about as much as a 120gb ssd.

As a rule, one will do better using a SSD for the os and frequently used apps first.

Blues_wolf

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I'm kinda researching the same currently, I found a paper from one guy in Korea saying that the HyperDuo caching technology from Marvell was slower than the SRT for Intel.

Thing is that Marvell has updated the HyperDuo technology latelly (aka "HyperDuo Plus"), so I'm still looking for some information about it.

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks blues_wolf..

Now I think we have a Winner in "SSD Cashing" method thats intel smart response technology(ISRT)

Marvell Truly Need to Update there Marvell chipset

But when intel smart response enabled it will take more time to start the PC because Avery time the computer start the (ISRT) will start saving and update the SSD used for Cashing

z68-isrt_03.jpg

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
While I'm not sure about the method ASUS uses, I know Intel's Smart Response seems to happen on a BIOS or Firmware level, with a handle to control it within software.

In other words, it happens outside the OS, and the software exists mostly to just reconfigure it.

I recently switched from the OS/Data configuration to the Data/Cache configuration between my HDDs and my 60GB agility 3. I'm using Intel Smart Response, and I must say, I didn't notice much of a slowdown in terms of boot times. It's still VERY quick, and the boot animation never has time to finish.

But the advantage is now the REST of my software can be accelerated as well. Games load MUCH faster with the Cache configuration, just most of the unused windows junk that would NORMALLY be on the SSD but rarely used, is now off the cache entirely, saving more space for other things.

Furthermore, it can utilize the whole drive. The OS and various apps used only about half my SSD, but the games and large programs like Autodesk, Mathematica, and Multisim couldn't quite fit. Now, I'm using 54GB of SSD space, rather than 25 or so.

It's really snappy, it's chipset-level, just like RAID, Windows recognizes the setup and can defrag the HDD without touching the SSD, AND I believe it still supports TRIM. And with a nice RAID-0 setup, I have good sequential writes on the HDDs, and the SSD takes care of the small random writes. And THEN I have a ram drive on top of all that.

I'm thinking of making about a 1GB+ RAM cache for the drives as well.

vr00m

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Intel 313 series use SLC (MLC not good for updating). I am new to SSDs, and based on this, I was thinking of buying an MLC SSD for cacheing!

Nothing wrong with MLC for the normal or even heavy desktop user.
The advantage of MLC is that it is cheaper than SLC. That means that for the same $ you can buy more capacity.
In effect this will increase longevity be cause have more nand cells.
If you are >90% usage, though it is time to increase your capacity.
It really is a moot point, though.
MLC under heavy desktop usage can be expected to last 10+ years. The SSD will be long obsolete by then.