Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gskill Memory - timings, What's the diff 7-7-7-21 vs. 9-9-9-24

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
Share
April 30, 2011 3:00:16 PM

Hi.

One of my sticks of (2x4) Gskill Ram just went bad after about 3 weeks of building my new machine and so I'm buying another (2x4) pack ("I'll keep the "good" stick I got now as a backup) of Gskill Ram I guess. It is confirmed as "bad" because I've run multiple Prime95 tests that end in failure and also I get BSOD when running soley on the stick every few minutes. I'm thinking of getting one set og the following, can anyone tell me the difference between the timings and what it means?

This is the set I currently have with the "bad" stick of 4 gigs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426

I'm thinking maybe of getting this set (because of the "blue" color going nicely with my ASUS mobo :lol:  )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231440

Can someone tell me the difference betweent these two sets and what warrants the 2nd set costing $20 more?


Thanks kindly.

More about : gskill memory timings diff

a b } Memory
April 30, 2011 7:54:20 PM

The only difference between those two is the CAS timings.. The one you have has timings of 9-9-9-24 and the one you intent on getting has CAS timings rated as 7-7-7-21.. Worth the 20$ difference..?? I think yes.. Its a decent asking price for 8 GB ram at those timings..
m
0
l
April 30, 2011 8:17:18 PM

Emperus said:
The only difference between those two is the CAS timings.. The one you have has timings of 9-9-9-24 and the one you intent on getting has CAS timings rated as 7-7-7-21.. Worth the 20$ difference..?? I think yes.. Its a decent asking price for 8 GB ram at those timings..



Thanks. Do you think I'll notice any performance difference between the two though?
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 30, 2011 8:33:29 PM

You'll NEVER be able to use the NEW + OLD together at Rated, manual maybe but no guarantees, so I would recommend another set of F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL. Also, I would RMA the OLD 'SET' yes set back to G.SKILL for a replacement SET.

1333 9-9-9-24
1333 7-7-7-21
===========
1333 9-9-9-24 ; worst of each set.

Q - Have you tried to increase the DRAM Voltage from 1.5-> 1.55~1.60v? Often I see high density won't work well at 'rated' frequency + voltage, and 4X4GB rarely at 1.50v.

IMO - try DRAM Voltage -> 1.55~1.60v followed by Memtest86+ 2~4 passes; test overnight 8GB X 4 passes takes hours. I noted the 'i5-2500K' -- if you OC and hadn't increased core and IMC voltage BSODs are common place. Don't use the ASUS Utility to OC, do it manually...
m
0
l
April 30, 2011 9:26:17 PM

jaquith said:
You'll NEVER be able to use the NEW + OLD together at Rated, manual maybe but no guarantees, so I would recommend another set of F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL. Also, I would RMA the OLD 'SET' yes set back to G.SKILL for a replacement SET.

1333 9-9-9-24
1333 7-7-7-21
===========
1333 9-9-9-24 ; worst of each set.

Q - Have you tried to increase the DRAM Voltage from 1.5-> 1.55~1.60v? Often I see high density won't work well at 'rated' frequency + voltage, and 4X4GB rarely at 1.50v.

IMO - try DRAM Voltage -> 1.55~1.60v followed by Memtest86+ 2~4 passes; test overnight 8GB X 4 passes takes hours. I noted the 'i5-2500K' -- if you OC and hadn't increased core and IMC voltage BSODs are common place. Don't use the ASUS Utility to OC, do it manually...


Thanks Jaquith. No I don't overclock at all. It's definitely a bad stick because the "good" one is in now (4 gig) and the system's been running flawlessly. I put the "bad" stick in only and immediately got a BSOD on boot, then I rebooted, got into Windows and ran Prime95 and received errors and stopped workers immediately. I'll take your advice and order the same RAM as I have and RMA the RAM I have now AFTER I get my new RAM, cause I don't wanna sit around without a computer for 2 weeks.
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 30, 2011 11:12:43 PM

Yep, that's a bad stick. You might want to look at the contacts - e.g. delamination.

I agree with waiting.

Good Luck! :) 
m
0
l
May 1, 2011 2:43:36 AM

jaquith said:
Yep, that's a bad stick. You might want to look at the contacts - e.g. delamination.

I agree with waiting.

Good Luck! :) 



The contacts all look good.

Thanks :) 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
May 1, 2011 3:11:49 AM

I have seen 4 posts today with the same problem .... all Gskill..... I wonder if something amiss at factory.

As for the CS 7 and CAS 9 question

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/12

22.3 % (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in Far Cry 2
18% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in Dawn of War
15% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in World in Conflict

Of course this kind of increase will only occur if you don't have a bottleneck somewhere else.

m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 1, 2011 1:16:17 PM

^Those tests are on X58, the OP has Asus P8P67, Intel i5 2500k. The IMC is fixed on the Sandy Bridge; benchmarks SB - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-... and if the OP 'Mixes' the RAM then the old 8GB becomes totally useless.

Yep, on the X58 LGA 1366 with i7 9XX RAM defiantly has a greater impact. It's no accident I'm currently running 2000+ MHz RAM on my i7 980X.

Regarding G.SKILL Ripjaws X I too have seen a lot of problems over the past two weeks, especially 1600 CAS 9 where 2X4GB were added to the same for 4X4GB 1600 CAS 9 - the solution is to run them 1333 CAS 9/8.
m
0
l
May 1, 2011 4:42:28 PM

jaquith said:
^Those tests are on X58, the OP has Asus P8P67, Intel i5 2500k. The IMC is fixed on the Sandy Bridge; benchmarks SB - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-... and if the OP 'Mixes' the RAM then the old 8GB becomes totally useless.

Yep, on the X58 LGA 1366 with i7 9XX RAM defiantly has a greater impact. It's no accident I'm currently running 2000+ MHz RAM on my i7 980X.

Regarding G.SKILL Ripjaws X I too have seen a lot of problems over the past two weeks, especially 1600 CAS 9 where 2X4GB were added to the same for 4X4GB 1600 CAS 9 - the solution is to run them 1333 CAS 9/8.


I think the RAM runs default at 1333 on my vanilla ASUS P8P67. I don't overclock the RAM or anything, I just leave everything alone, including the CPU.

By the way, offtopic, but how come that little window in the upper right that tells you if people responded to your posts never comes up anymore on my account? My signature is not showing either in my posts.


Thanks :) 
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 1, 2011 11:33:07 PM

Hmmm? Don't know, are you blocking the cookies and are you logged-in? My settings -> Display the toolbox: Yes, Automatic email notification: No {Yes if you like email notifications}, and Display the rightmost column : Yes.

Also, if you clicked "Reset discussion tracking..." then they'll go Bye-Bye. After a lot of posts the System will max-out your Topics, does with me anyway. ;) 

Regarding Signatures, 1. Signature: {use info/links} AND 2. Apply signature: [X]. Personally, I do NOT like those with your current build and I wish they wouldn't allow it, instead use CPU-Z Validation http://valid.canardpc.com/ **Reason, when I or you try to search specific MOBO + 'STUFF' you get erroneous results because Google cannot filter-out post from crapola. Our 'Member configuration' is there for the linking. IMO if I put my rigs out there it wouldn't help a thing.
m
0
l
May 2, 2011 12:34:31 AM

jaquith said:
Hmmm? Don't know, are you blocking the cookies and are you logged-in? My settings -> Display the toolbox: Yes, Automatic email notification: No {Yes if you like email notifications}, and Display the rightmost column : Yes.

Also, if you clicked "Reset discussion tracking..." then they'll go Bye-Bye. After a lot of posts the System will max-out your Topics, does with me anyway. ;) 

Regarding Signatures, 1. Signature: {use info/links} AND 2. Apply signature: [X]. Personally, I do NOT like those with your current build and I wish they wouldn't allow it, instead use CPU-Z Validation http://valid.canardpc.com/ **Reason, when I or you try to search specific MOBO + 'STUFF' you get erroneous results because Google cannot filter-out post from crapola. Our 'Member configuration' is there for the linking. IMO if I put my rigs out there it wouldn't help a thing.


Thanks Jaquith! So what do you think my chances are of getting another stick of bad RAM from Gskill?? :lol:  Anyways, I'm ordering another 8 gigs as soon as I get home tonight. I'm ordering the same RAM that I currently have. My RAM "went" bad, but it was working fine when I first got it 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if Prime95 could've ruined that stick.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
May 2, 2011 1:24:13 AM

Prime95 didn't hurt your RAM, and slim to none that the replacements are bad; never say 'never'.

Good Luck! :) 
Share
May 2, 2011 2:43:17 AM

Best answer selected by keto6789.
m
0
l
May 2, 2011 2:43:39 AM

jaquith said:
Prime95 didn't hurt your RAM, and slim to none that the replacements are bad; never say 'never'.

Good Luck! :) 



Thanks Jaquith!
m
0
l
!