Sign in with
Your question

AMD x3 440 vs i5 750

Last response: in CPUs
September 19, 2010 10:37:58 AM

just thought I would share this with you guys . I bought a 440 last week ,after getting it I overclocked it to 3.4 ghz . I then ran a test (pc wizards cpu benchmark) to my surprise the £57.00 AMD chip was only marginally slower than the £160 intel chip .... I then whacked it up to 3.5 ghz and it was marginally FASTER than the i5 750 ... this is without any core unlocking ........ I am well chuffed :bounce: 

More about : amd 440 750

a b à CPUs
September 19, 2010 12:18:17 PM

i don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but it comepletely depends on the benchmark. Also the i5 750 can oc past or at least to 3.5ghz so don't mislead people into thinking they are that similar. Also any threaded app will perform better on the i5.
Sure the amd chip is good for general computing and it doesnt bottleneck mid-high range single card gpu's to frames that arent playable and it is a great buy for those reasons but trust me the i5-750 is in another tier.

heres a nice benchmark tool: http://www.passmark.com/
download this and after you complete w/e benchmark you can then compare to anybody around the world with w/e cpu you want at w/e clock speed. So then you can compare apples to apples with an i5-750 or other chips at either stock or OC.
September 19, 2010 3:26:51 PM

agreed , I know the i5 will probably wipe the floor with it in most benchmarks , and I suppose it raises a question about how accurate 'benchmarks' are , ....
but I was chuffed anyhow :D  :D 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2010 3:36:56 PM

Haha, get that 4th core unlocked, and then it should be interesting. But what did you expect? 15% clock increase on single threaded benchmark :lol:  That explains it.
September 19, 2010 3:53:02 PM

actually according to pc wizards website the cpu benchmark is
"PROCESSOR : These benchmarks measure performance in terms of Integer Millions of Instructions Per Second (Integer MIPS) and Millions of Floating Point Operations Per Second (MFLOPS). The code behind these benchmarks method is written in Assembly (x86, x87, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW!). Processor benchmarks are HyperThreading, multi-processor (SMP) and multi-core (CMP) aware."
so it is not a 'single threaded' benchmark :whistle: 
!