ATI Hdmi sound Question

FrostMS

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I just recently got myself an ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU largely due to lots of posts on this forum (thanks btw) and everything seems to be working great. Currently my setup involves a dvi to my computer and an hdmi to my TV. Everything works fine there, but what I'd like to know is there any way to have both the hdmi output and the speakers work at the same time.

Currently if I want something to produce sound I have to go to the sound option in the control panel set what I want as default, then start the application. As far as I can tell there's no way to set them both as default. If there's no way to do this is, is there at least a better way than using the control panel sound option?

Though I can't quite remember, you should be able to switch your default audio by navigating to your bottom-right toolbar, right-click the sound icon, go to PlayBack Devices, and choose which device you want to be default.

Alternatively you can go to your desktop, make a new folder, and call it Sound .{F2DDFC82-8F12-4CDD-B7DC-D4FE1425AA4D}, which will create a link to the control panel controlling sound.

leon2006

Distinguished
Audio comes out only on the selected Audio Source. There is no option to run HDMI/DVI and speakers at the same time:

If you select the HDMI/DVI as audio source:

Audio on HDMI/DVI:

The audio comes out only on the HDMI/DVI port designated as primary display port.

If you select the Speaker as audio source HDMI/DVI audio will have no output. The sound will come out on your speakers.

The audio comes out on our speaker on none on your HDMI/DVI:

A script can be written to change the settings on the control panel.

Or

Just go to the control panel sound option and use your mouse to switch it.

FrostMS

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I eventually did find my answer sort of. The easiest way I found was to simply load a program with say speakers as default then set hdmi as default and run another program, and then sound would go where I wanted it to. Way easier than I was making it out to be. Not sure if that's what you were trying to say leon, but thanks anyway.