Looking for advice on gaming/video editing rig

chriscr

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hey guys! I haven't built a computer in four or five years so I'm a little behind the times; I've been doing some research but I'm sure I've missed some stuff. Hopefully that's where you come in! Here's what I think I know:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next month or so

BUDGET RANGE: up to about 1500, though obviously more money in my pocket is better

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, video editing, various CS5 work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: peripherals

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg is good but any other ideas are welcome

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'll detail a little below

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe later

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: at least 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I am definitely thinking core i7 and 1366 architecture to help future-proof my machine. From the research I've done I think a radeon hd 5850 is the card for me but I'm absolutely open to suggestions. I will definitely be upgrading various parts over time, so for now I just want a solid pc that will run and run well. I'm going to be doing some gaming, but I also will be running Avid and CS5 all the time, so a good cpu is a must for stuff like After Effects renders.

I was poking around newegg and saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432262 which looked pretty good but I am not super knowledgeable right now. Also there seem to be an enormous amount of doa complaints about the included power supply, which may be more hassle than I'm willing to deal with. Any input would be much appreciated; thanks a lot!

TRENDING THREADS