Sign in with
Your question

Power supply fry!

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2010 1:56:09 PM

Hi! i went with my friend to get him a gaming pc yesterday and when we bought it the guy told us that the chipset inside the motherboard is powerfull enought for gaming (i think it was a Radeon 4770 chipset something like that) and that with a 550W power supply everything would be fine even if we bought another card....that's what we did because the chipset sucked.We bought a Radeon HD 5770 VaporX and NOW everyting worked fine...until 2 hours later when a huge spark came out of the power supply and everything crashed. I figure que power supply shorted because theres no more power when it's plugged.But can this shortage cause another card to fry? like the motherboard or the videocard? because we did not buy the card at the same place than the computer so i dont know if the video card is fryed will the guy remplace it even if we didnt buy the rest of the pc there.

And if the power supply shotage can cause damage elsewhere, is there a way to verify the other cards without the power supply?
Thanks in advance!

ps:Sorry if my english sounds weird!

More about : power supply fry

a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2010 2:06:37 PM

what is the power supply brand name?
a c 671 ) Power supply
a c 262 4 Gaming
September 19, 2010 2:27:11 PM

You can test the cards in another computer and yes power supply's can take other components with them when they blowup. A quality PSU is a must with the investment that is in the computer.
I would start by taking the PC in original configuration to the first guy, when you get it back you can try the new 5770 card and if that does not work take it to the guy you bought it from and tell him it never worked.
Related resources
September 19, 2010 4:42:37 PM

obsidian86 said:
what is the power supply brand name?

Im not sure the exact name but i know its a coolermaster 550W
September 19, 2010 4:47:06 PM

rolli59 said:
You can test the cards in another computer and yes power supply's can take other components with them when they blowup. A quality PSU is a must with the investment that is in the computer.
I would start by taking the PC in original configuration to the first guy, when you get it back you can try the new 5770 card and if that does not work take it to the guy you bought it from and tell him it never worked.

Thanks! that's what he will try! and probably get a discount on a bigger power supply...since he couldve burned his place down if something fucked up.
September 25, 2010 4:56:56 AM

Yeah, that's right it would be a very good thing to first have the computer checked in the basic configuration and tell the first person to get it fixed if in case it is required. I think that it would be better if you leave the checking part to the other person and let him figure out the problem.
!