Sign in with
Your question

Is 1600 Memory Causing my i7-920 Problem?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Intel i7
  • Memory
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2010 5:49:40 AM

Hi guys,
I completed my first new build but am having problems. Hardware wise I thought everything was fine. Windows 7 seems to work fine, but after being on a while, or right after starting up, the computer automatically restarts, or gives me the dreaded Blue Screen. I had the system checked out at a local shop and the tech said it could be a defective i7-920 2.66 ghz cpu. He says the ram checks out fine, and all 6 dimms are inserted correctly. Windows shows the 12 gig memory, but I am wondering after reading some posts here could the problem be the memory since it is 1600 speed? I am not very experienced and know little about all this, and a friend told me what to get and plans to overclock and set up my system.

It is a Asus P6T mb, OCZ Gold Series DDR3 1600L memory, (6, 2-gig Dimms) i7-920, 2.66 cpu, Corsair 750W psu. He said he has the same hardware and overclocked and his rig is running great. Thanks. Tom

More about : 1600 memory causing 920 problem

a b } Memory
July 20, 2010 6:30:55 AM

What BSOD codes are you receiving? I doubt it's because the RAM is 1600 MHz, however it could be a faulty RAM/PSU or motherboard.
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:11:33 PM

Make sure RAM settings are correctly set in BIOS to manuf timings and voltage. Also, make sure Memtest was run for 8 passes min.

You've got OCZ RAM (why?), I'd suspect that first over the CPU any day.
m
l
July 21, 2010 3:55:17 AM

banthracis said:
Make sure RAM settings are correctly set in BIOS to manuf timings and voltage. Also, make sure Memtest was run for 8 passes min.

You've got OCZ RAM (why?), I'd suspect that first over the CPU any day.

The OCZ ram was recommended to me by someone with the same memory. A local computer shop teck said my memory checks out. Could you please tell me what you mean by memory timings? I understand my voltage is 6.5. I am not too familiar with settings in Bios. Thanks. Tom
m
l
!