Laptop w/2 serial ports

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 11, 2004 12:43:00 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
DOS..

Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any laptop
+ PCMCIA card working well under dos.

Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't know
much about these things.

Thanks guys!

More about : laptop serial ports

November 11, 2004 12:43:01 PM

xan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
> would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
> DOS..
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any laptop
> + PCMCIA card working well under dos.
>
> Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't know
> much about these things.
>
> Thanks guys!

Many older laptops have a second serial port for the modem. Modem may
or may not be installed. If it's a plug-in modem, you probably can get
access to the usart pins.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

"xan" <mr_xanax@hoootmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
> would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
> DOS..

I like PCMCIA cards from http://www.socketcom.com/. They make single, two
and four port cards. A DOS enabler is available on the web page and it works
very well in pure DOS. Sometimes these cards can be found quite cheaply on
Ebay.

I haven't seen a laptop with two serial ports so the PCMCIA card solves the
problem of finding such a beast.
Related resources
November 12, 2004 12:11:10 PM

"Frank346" <frank346@groznyk.com> wrote in

> I like PCMCIA cards from http://www.socketcom.com/. They make single,
> two and four port cards. A DOS enabler is available on the web page
> and it works very well in pure DOS. Sometimes these cards can be found
> quite cheaply on Ebay.
>
> I haven't seen a laptop with two serial ports so the PCMCIA card
> solves the problem of finding such a beast.

Thanks!

Does it only work on older laptops?

I've seen many PCMCIA serial cards around but nobody knows if they really
work in pure DOS. Thanks again for the infos!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 7:28:41 PM

> Thanks!
>
> Does it only work on older laptops?
>
> I've seen many PCMCIA serial cards around but nobody knows if they really
> work in pure DOS. Thanks again for the infos!

I've run the card in DOS on machines from P-133 to P4-2 GHz with no problem.
The P4 is a Thinkpad A31 with 1 GB memory. Starting the PC with a Win98 boot
floppy, it was only necessary to start the enabler from the command line
with no switches or ini file and the defaults worked fine. The enabler can
also be started from config.sys. The A31 has one hard drive partition (NTFS)
so it was not even visible when booting from the floppy.

You will need to get the enabler from the FTP site
ftp://ftp.socketcom.com/io/ as references to it are no longer on the web
page. The file name is siodos.exe.

There are two types of card cabling available, pluggable and ruggedized
which is permanently attached. Ebay auctions for pluggable cards are often
without the cable which costs $30 from third party suppliers. If you don't
mind the permanently attached cable, the ruggedized version is a better
deal.

There are also two types of cards regarding speed. Newer cards can run at
very high speed (for serial) and I have only older low speed cards here. The
enabler probably works with the newer cards but I haven't confirmed that.
The Socketio web page explains how to tell which cards are high speed from
label information on the card.

If your laptop already has one serial port, a single port PCMCIA card will
be all you need. Singles are more readily available and cheaper than duals
although there is currently an Ebay auction for a dual, item # 6721128887.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 9:10:10 PM

Sound like a Court Reporter trying to do real time!
"xan" <mr_xanax@hoootmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
> would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
> DOS..
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any
laptop
> + PCMCIA card working well under dos.
>
> Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't
know
> much about these things.
>
> Thanks guys!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 3:12:56 AM

I used to be in the computer business, and remember coming across old
2-serial-port laptops, a lot of them pre-Pentium 486's. Go to eBay
and search: laptop 2 serial.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 14, 2004 12:20:10 AM

xan:

If your laptop has an existing serial port, then a second one can be added
via the PCMCIA/Card Bus slot. I use one I got on ebay. Avoid the USB units
as they don't have the serial port chip in them and do not work the same
way.

Rich
"xan" <mr_xanax@hoootmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
> would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
> DOS..
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any
laptop
> + PCMCIA card working well under dos.
>
> Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't
know
> much about these things.
>
> Thanks guys!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 1:42:38 AM

>I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that
>would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under
>DOS..

Would this happen to be for an educational descrambling experiment?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
!