Whirring Noise I can't figure out!

BScott1122

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hey, there is this wierd whirring sound coming from my build. My specs will be at the bottom of the post. I built the comp about 2 years ago. Sometimes after my comp has been on for more thrn about 20 minutes ill start to hear a whistling/whirring sound. I had two hard drives, one xp and one vista. I figured it was a drive because it was rather old so i took out the xp drive and still i hear the noise. When i stick my head in the case all i hear is a slight whistling sound and the normal hums of the fans. But when i sit in my chair where i normally am i hear the whistling. It's almsot like the shape of the case is making the noise. SO, i cant figure out what component its coming from. I did however stop my cpu fan and my case fans and its definetly not those. therefore i think it may be my PSU fan. Im pretty sure its not my GPU fans. any ideas? please help.

E6850 duo 3Ghz
2x 9800GTX+
1000W Coolermaster PSU
XFX nforce 780i mobo
4gb DDR2 800mhz
500gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm

sathirian

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
One reason might your chokes, the white things with bronze wire around them. Newer motherboards have solid chokes on them, which makes them silent under load. Some old ones buzz and whistle at high loads.