Seagate 500GB some Partitions missing

arunkota9

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi all,

I have had some problem where my computer had reboot problem. I have 2 segate hard disks (80 GB and 500 GB). 80 GB is a primary and 500 GB is secondary. Initially when i bought 500 GB HDD (its more than been 1yr) I have done partition on it and have used it as secondary to 80 GB. HDD. But recently I have faced the reboot problem. So i tried to make 500 GB as primary and tried to install OS in C drive (partition), but when i was trying to do that i do not see other partitions (drives) where all the important data is stored. now my computer is fixed and 80 GB is primary and 500 GB HDD is secondary, but i can only see 1 partition(drive of 35 GB) and others i cannot see.

Can anyone help me please....I have very important files in the other partitions(drives) of 500 GB HDD..

Regards,
Arun.K

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Arun, Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

It is hard to follow exactly what has happened to your two drives. Right now the 80GB is your system drive, and the 500GB secondary for storage.

Could you please tell us if both drives are SATA drives, and what the partitions were on the 500GB drive. What compouter and OS are you using?

Please go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box, (post the link with your response), so we can see exactly how your OS sees them and how to best help.

arunkota9

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi John,

Thanks for ur response. Yes I have 2 Segate SATA Hard disks. now I am facing problem with 500 GB HDD. when i bought it i have loaded SAP application server and windows 2000 to run SAP application. for this we did partition of 200 GB for SAP and Windows 2000, with remaining space I did 4 more partitions for personal data. a year before i have formatted the 200 GB where i had SAP and Windows 2000 by right clicking on the drive/partition.

That was all about the past. till couple of weeks back, were i was able to see all the partitions/drives of secondary disk, I am running my computer on windows XP sp3.

sorry I dont know what option to use to upload the screen shot.

now on my secondary hard disk, i can only see one drive/partition which shows capacity of 33 GB, i dont see the remaining space/capacity and the other partitions.

Regards,
Arun.K

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Go to Disk Management (right click on My Computer, Manage, Computer Management. Click on Disk Management in the lower left area)
In the lower graphical area, it shows your HDD's. There are 2 major columns, the Disk Info, and Volume Info.

In the left column, list exactly what it says like (Disk 0, Basic, 500GB, Online). In the Right Volumn Info column list what i says (Volume Label, Volume Letter, 200GB, NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition)). Also list the color of the band above each Volume Info area. Do that for each hard drive and it may help us to understand what is going on.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Not for publication - but if you have the screenshot, fromPntscn or Snagit, just save it as a jpg or png file. Then logOn to Photobuckest, upload it, then double click on the image to select it, click on the "img code" which copies the needed code to the clipboard, which you can then just paste into your post. It will then show up as a screenshot image here to review.

arunkota9

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi John,

1_zpse59b90aa.gif
[/img]

this is what my secondary HDD is showing.

Regards,
Arun.K

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
First of all, great job on the image posting of Disk Management! Really help everyone. I realize you are running Win-XP, and with Win-7 and Win-8 there is a built in Snipping Tool that makes selective screenshot grabbing a piece of cake.

Is it correct to assume you had several other partitions on this 500GB HDD, and was one of them this 31.50GB partition that is showing up? Or is the 31.5GB a new size?
Also for information purposes, did you move this ext HDD between a Win-XP and Vista or Win-7 computer or laptop?

Try downloading and running the EaseUS Partition Master (free for home use) program. Here is the website.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Go to the main menu. There is a user manual to read. Run the Partition Recovery Wizard, to see if it can ID and re-establish those partitions that are missing.

arunkota9

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi John,

I am running my computer on W-XP as my mother board is old one and does not support other OS, and I have never used Vista. and this is a internal SATA HDD.

01_zpsfafd77c5.gif

I never connected my HDD to any other computer before.

I dont know how system picked up that size (31.50 GB),

I downloaded EaseUS data recovery, by following instruction by doing google to retrieve missing partition data, but that didnt work. I will try EaseUS Partition Master and see.

Regards,
Arun. K